Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pet insurance and have they had a good experience with it? I have some, but haven't had to use it yet. . . mine does not cover basic shots and stuff and luckily that is all we have had so far. We had the AKC insurance for free for two months and sent in all of our stuff and they sent it back saying that none of the stuff was covered, so we went with a cheaper insurance that looked comparable.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I personally do not carry insurance for my pets, but recently read a pretty informative article in one of the gun dog magazines that made me think twice. If I can find it, I can scan it in and e-mail you a copy.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I found the article in a back issue of the Pointing Dog Journal. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will scan it in and send you a copy. That would probably be the easiest way to get it to you.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One expensive surgery would be justification enough for me;) I would rather pay the $100 or so a year than be surprised by a $3000 surgery.

Some people say, I would just let the dog die, but I don't think I could do that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not the $3,000 surgery bill that kills you. It's the $200 bill for the ripped off toe-nail or the $600 for the stick in the eye or the $1,500 bill for a torn ACL (last dog I had) that kills ya. Either you pay up or you let your dog gimp around for the rest of their lives which I could never do. I would also be interested in that article if you can send it my way. Or tell me which issue it was in, I might still have it at home.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The article was in the November/December 2003 issue of the Pointing Dog Journal. If you'd like a copy, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a PDF file.

- Jeff

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by brymoore
My dog wouldn't get a $3000 surgery.
It would if you paid for pet insurance;)

After paying about $1000 for my pup, I think it is worth it. Heck, my brother's doberman ate a pair of nylons and they got stuck in his intestines. . . he was fine $700 later, and then two ACLs at around $500 (knew the vet, got a good deal). They sure wish they would have gotten insurance now. I am not saying it is for everybody, but is worth it for others.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a link to some pet insurance for those to check out if they are interested.

www.petinsurance.com

They are just one option, but I did get a good recommendation for them. The policies are around $100, $200, and $300 per year. I went middle of the road, but might upgrade after finding out that heartworm/flea control are included in the top of the line one.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have had my insurance for about a year now and I am going to renew after hearing about Timbers luck with the vet. . .I would rather be covered and make this an expense rather than a big surprise later.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I'm jumping the gun asking a question, before doing any research... but here's my question anyways.

I saw the $100 a year number thrown out there to cover the possible $3000 vet bill up the road. What are restrictions on cost of vet bill? Does dogs age matter (since I'd imagine it should).... etc.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Its the fine print that probably has all the exclusions on what's "not" covered
Probably no prescription drug coverage either
I guess if you only have one dog it may make some sense.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Well I can say after what we went through this last week I wish we would of had it. Our 11 month old Basset Hound came down with diarrea a week ago, Wednsday morning we took her to the vet. Sunday afternoon we lost her.
(It's a long story) When we picked her up to bury her the vet hand us a 670.00 bill. So not only did we lose our pet, it cost us 670.00 to boot. Is insurance worth it, IMO YES. If we had it we could have taken her to MSU and maybe they could have saved her.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FieldWalker said:
I'm jumping the gun asking a question, before doing any research... but here's my question anyways.

I saw the $100 a year number thrown out there to cover the possible $3000 vet bill up the road. What are restrictions on cost of vet bill? Does dogs age matter (since I'd imagine it should).... etc.

-Scott
Scott,

The one I am getting right now is just over $200 per year. . . covers everything except routine and flea control, etc. For around $300 per year, you can get some routine stuff paid for as well. If you go to the link, it will give you a list of things covered and how much is covered. I have not had to use it yet, but I am glad I know it's there. A dog's age doesn't matter, but pre-existing conditions are not covered. Also, ACL is covered after 1 year, I think that is so people can't get the insurance and then have their dog's ACL taken care of.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Last year one of my Mastiffs tore a tendon in her rear leg which resulted in a 1200 dollar vet bill. I then obtained pet insurance on all four dogs to the tune of just over 80 dollars a month.

3 weeks ago the 10 month old mastiff gets sick. Turns out he tore off and swallowed two pieces of his blanket that were joined by a string. Results in a 1300 dollar vet bill that I didn't have to pay. I only had to pay a 50 dollar deductable.

I came out ahead and think that anybody with a wife that has replaced the moved out kids with dogs better get insurance. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please let me know. Timbergsp and I have been looking for someone to insure our dogs. We are currently going through our house insurance to try to find someone that will insure them. So, if we hear anything we'll let you know, and vice versa if you hear anything ;)

Thanks
Sarah

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Ours is through Veterinary Pet Insurance, located at

ph.petinsurance.com

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2PawsRiver said:
Ours is through Veterinary Pet Insurance, located at

ph.petinsurance.com

Hope that helps.
That's what I have, they have been in business for many years. . I have a link posted above. I think they have discounts if you have a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I think I am gong to get in on this....I lost a dog to an accident and was also handed a major bill....

Brymoore says his dog would not get a 3k operation but if the dog is still young and in his prime I would have a really hard time not making that happen, I know Brymoore loves to hunt and would get another dog probaly, well you/we must have 3k invested in the first year of the dogs life?

I believe that is maybe the average to get a bird dog of any breed up to standards:

Puppy Cost,
Vet Bills,
Training Equipment,
Time,
Birds,

This all adds up fast and the dogs are of great importance to me. I will check out the link Randy....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts