Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. Been fishing an unmentionable for over 20 years and caught the largest smallmouth today. The fish was a little over 22inches and I caught it on my fly rod and a special crayfish pattern. I fished about three hours and had caught around 40 fish (50 50 mix of rockies and smallmouth) when this pig took my fly. I put her back to grow a little more.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Very nice, you don't see pigs like that in rivers much. Must have been a thrill.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fly tied by Kelly Gallup (I think he is featured in a recent Field and Stream Magazine) and I bought it in Montana last summer. If you have ever fished the Madison below Slide Lake you have probably been to his shop. (by the way he is a Michigan guy who used to guide in the Traverse City area)

It is a hinged crayfish pattern that looks way better in the water than it does in the fly box. I will post of picture of the fly later today.

The funny thing is that I caught around 25 other smallies yesterday and most hit hard but the big girl bit like the rock bass I was getting. I fish the river a lot (probably 3 or 4 times a week during the summer) and the big fish have been running 19 to 21 inches for as long as I can remember so this one is special since I got it on a fly and in a place I would never expect to get a real big fish since it gets hit hard all year long.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Caught a couple that size on conventional gear and my biggest on fly tackle is 15", that must've been an awesome battle. Congrats on the PB!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have always got numbers at the location but have never caught any decent sized fish till this one.

I might have give it a try for eyes sometime, it is my easily smallie with a fly rod spot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts