Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the abundance of deer in given DMU's mostly in SLP, and little or No public land of any Size to hunt without tripping over other hunters, How do people get permission to hunt all the private lands, agricultural land, to HUNT. If you do not know someone, who knows someone, you can not find a place to harvest deer. Yet you can hear all the P?M? about the overpopulation problem they have......
I would love to go DOWN STATE, to harvest some freezer meat, but i don't have any connections down There....

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
The only means that comes to mind is for a group of individuals or an individual to make it financially appealing enough to entice landowners to make such an agreement. Given that is not usually possible without a prior positive relationship, as you suggest, it will be a dilemma that the state will have to resolve if they wish to make a change in the deer population in the slp.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
With the abundance of deer in given DMU's mostly in SLP, and little or No public land of any Size to hunt without tripping over other hunters, How do people get permission to hunt all the private lands, agricultural land, to HUNT. If you do not know someone, who knows someone, you can not find a place to harvest deer. Yet you can hear all the P?M? about the overpopulation problem they have......
I would love to go DOWN STATE, to harvest some freezer meat, but i don't have any connections down There....
I hate to break this to you but I live and hunt down state and but spend some time hunting up in Atlanta. I've seen more deer up north than down here this year. It's not like we have deer behind every tree. Heck, I comute about 30 miles to work and drive past some of the most prime farm land in the state for most of those 30 miles. In the years past always had deer in the feilds and it was normal to count 50+ on my comute, each way. This year I'n not seeing anying and I'm lucky to see 1 a week.

Getting permission down state takes a lot of work and trust... or money.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I hate to break this to you but I live and hunt down state and but spend some time hunting up in Atlanta. I've seen more deer up north than down here this year. It's not like we have deer behind every tree. Heck, I comute about 30 miles to work and drive past some of the most prime farm land in the state for most of those 30 miles. In the years past always had deer in the feilds and it was normal to count 50+ on my comute, each way. This year I'n not seeing anying and I'm lucky to see 1 a week.

Doe permits have taken quite a toll. The same factor that decimated northern MI. hunting

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The only means that comes to mind is for a group of individuals or an individual to make it financially appealing enough to entice landowners to make such an agreement. Given that is not usually possible without a prior positive relationship, as you suggest, it will be a dilemma that the state will have to resolve if they wish to make a change in the deer population in the slp.
I live in Saginaw County and I have basically given up trying to secure permission on any lands near my house. It used to be that I could hunt many farms near me, but now that deer hunting has become a money maker for the landowners I have been priced out. I can't even get anyone to let me hunt the late doe season because the property has been leased out and the leasees don't want anyone hunting "their" deer. IMO one of the major reasons hunter numbers are down is because they don't have anywhere to hunt on private land where there is a good chance of actually harvesting a deer. It is difficult to get my boys into hunting because the nearest property I hunt is 70 miles away and we can't make it to the farm after school in time to hunt. This limits them to weekends only and with today's busy schedules many times we still can't find the time to make the trip considering travel time alone will be 2 1/2 hours.

I am by no means bashing landowners, they have the right to make money off of their properties but it is very hard for me to see a herd of 25 deer across the road from my house in the evening and not be able to take the boys out to hunt them. I heard a statement 15 years ago that said "Leasing will be the demise of deer hunting in Michigan." I am starting to see the effects of this practice just with my own family. My boys just have a hard time getting excited over hunting when they may only hunt 2 or 3 days a year. They are starting to give up on it until Dad can figure out a way to buy property that they can actually hunt around sports and homework. Unforunately, by the time I can afford it, they will probably not even live in this state anymore. This makes me very sad...

Many states have a very vigorous hunter access program, Montana comes to mind, and until Michigan can come up with an equivalant plan that is equitable for the landowners this sport is going to turn into a pastime for the "haves" with the "have nots" stuck into overhunted state land with few deer and 0 doe tags. Not a good thing for the future of this sport.

Now throw in the fact that many of these leased properties are "managed" by "hunters" whose only goal is large racks on the wall. These guys are not willing to let other hunters in and mess up their chances at killing "their" bucks that they "paid for" with the lease money. Hence, many properties are underharvested for goal deer populations to be achieved. Not a good scenario for the future of Michigan's hunting.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I visit Branch county occasionally. Last summer ('09) there were so many deer there that I was afraid to drive the speed limit at night. They were everywhere. Did all of the does get harvested between then and now?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See, i would love to go hunt somewhere, gun, bow, BP, just for freezer meat. If a property owner said, Does only, i could live with that, or if they had Farm permits to fill, i know a number of "Land, Agricultural, and Livestock" freindly responsible guys that would love to come harvest animals for them.....
And i see this being a problem everywhere, not just SLP.
I realize if a camp puts $$$$ into food plots, and forest management, they don't want people shooting their big deer....But Hey, somebody has to keep the doe count in Balance to BOOT!!!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I am by no means bashing landowners, they have the right to make money off of their properties but it is very hard for me to see a herd of 25 deer across the road from my house in the evening and not be able to take the boys out to hunt them. I heard a statement 15 years ago that said "Leasing will be the demise of deer hunting in Michigan."
Not to change the subject...

I agree but I would add that block permits and other special opportunities for farmers to take deer outside of the normal season ranks right up their in terms of being a problem. Many farmers whine that the deer eat their crops but when somebody asks for permission to hunt, the answer is always no. I have no sympathy for these farmers. We have three months of deer seasons in Michigan. If that isn't a sufficient amount of time for farmers to deal with population problems, what is??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to change the subject...

I agree but I would add that block permits and other special opportunities for farmers to take deer outside of the normal season ranks right up their in terms of being a problem. Many farmers whine that the deer eat their crops but when somebody asks for permission to hunt, the answer is always no. I have no sympathy for these farmers. We have three months of deer seasons in Michigan. If that isn't a sufficient amount of time for farmers to deal with population problems, what is??
On more than one occasion, people who have "hunted" using these permits have bragged to me about the bucks that they have shot and left lay because they weren't supposed to be shooting them. It makes me sick.

·
Registered
552 Posts
All I have to say is, if you think it is hard to find some land in MI to hunt... go looking in some of the "prime" states in the midwest. I moved to IL a couple years ago and it is MUCH MUCH harder to find somewhere to hunt.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I would think you would be able to get permission by knocking on doors. Especially if you only want to shoot does. Pick a county and buy a plat book. Start knocking on doors (I would start as soon as the season ends asking for next year). It may take a lot of doors before you get a yes, but it will happen if you knock on enough doors.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Find the older farm owners and offer help through the off season cutting firewood, painting, etc... Also offer them some of your harvest. I hunt alot in Saginaw county and have gained access to a few farms this way. If you put in the time and effort it is not that hard to gain access.

·
Registered
270 Posts
it`s almost impossible to get permission around my area unless you can shell out big bucks. there are plenty of deer around and the farmers do complain about crop losses ( i think coon ruin more corn than deer ) but without a lease your just not going to hunt. antler worship has alot to do with it too. i`ve read that small game hunter #`s are down - around here it`s the same thing as deer hunting - you can`t get permission `cause " we don`t want the deer getting all stired up " - same with setting traps. sure alot different than 20yrs ago !

·
Registered
571 Posts
The only way I've been able to hunt is through knowing people, and mentioning in passing that I'm looking for places to hunt. Land leasing specifically for hunting really has ruined the sport :rolleyes: Play boys come in offering big money to farmers to exclusively hunt the area, and as soon as one land owner cashes in, he makes a few quick calls and sure enough all the owners in that area start asking for cash if you're going to hunt their land. There is no such thing as benefiting each other anymore (you take deer for meat, and in the process help remove unwanted deer from their property).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doe permits have taken quite a toll. The same factor that decimated northern MI. hunting

I live on the border of Monroe and Lenawee counties and you are correct, it used to be nothing to see deer all the time in the fields, now your lucky to see one once in a week. Now before any bashing starts about QDM I am for it, but if you take too many breeders ( does ) then the herd size will be too small as it is around here. I live on a dirt road surrounded by ag. and woodlots and the deer seem to be gone. At least Monroe co. doesnt have a late doe season this year, which imo is good.

·
Banned
948 Posts
I live in Saginaw County and I have basically given up trying to secure permission on any lands near my house. It used to be that I could hunt many farms near me, but now that deer hunting has become a money maker for the landowners I have been priced out. I can't even get anyone to let me hunt the late doe season because the property has been leased out and the leasees don't want anyone hunting "their" deer. IMO one of the major reasons hunter numbers are down is because they don't have anywhere to hunt on private land where there is a good chance of actually harvesting a deer. It is difficult to get my boys into hunting because the nearest property I hunt is 70 miles away and we can't make it to the farm after school in time to hunt. This limits them to weekends only and with today's busy schedules many times we still can't find the time to make the trip considering travel time alone will be 2 1/2 hours.

I am by no means bashing landowners, they have the right to make money off of their properties but it is very hard for me to see a herd of 25 deer across the road from my house in the evening and not be able to take the boys out to hunt them. I heard a statement 15 years ago that said "Leasing will be the demise of deer hunting in Michigan." I am starting to see the effects of this practice just with my own family. My boys just have a hard time getting excited over hunting when they may only hunt 2 or 3 days a year. They are starting to give up on it until Dad can figure out a way to buy property that they can actually hunt around sports and homework. Unforunately, by the time I can afford it, they will probably not even live in this state anymore. This makes me very sad...

Many states have a very vigorous hunter access program, Montana comes to mind, and until Michigan can come up with an equivalant plan that is equitable for the landowners this sport is going to turn into a pastime for the "haves" with the "have nots" stuck into overhunted state land with few deer and 0 doe tags. Not a good thing for the future of this sport.

Now throw in the fact that many of these leased properties are "managed" by "hunters" whose only goal is large racks on the wall. These guys are not willing to let other hunters in and mess up their chances at killing "their" bucks that they "paid for" with the lease money. Hence, many properties are underharvested for goal deer populations to be achieved. Not a good scenario for the future of Michigan's hunting.
Sorry, I don't see any issue. I see deer every single day on state land, I could literally harvest a deer almost every day with my bow. The state property is there, and I am glad we have it. The land is there, the deer are there. Just try harder. If you cannot take your boys during the youth hunt, onto state land and fill every tag I just don't know what to tell you. If you live in saginaw county I can think of several state game areas where you guys could kill deer effortlessly within 30 minutes of your home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts