Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone leave a shanty on the ice all season? I've been thinking about building something cheap to use out there in case it gets destroyed or buoyant. I worry about vandalism as much as ice conditions. I don't like human crap in my shanties when I get there. Some guys are animals.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had several permanents out in the past. They are great when you get solid freezing for a month plus, but they are a real pain with the steady 20-50 cycles we have been having the last decade. It warms to 50, water builds on ice, temp drops and you are froze in. If you can easily get out to it at any warm up to block you will be okay, but if ice is sketchy or out of town you will have problems if not attended to every big thaw.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
29,817 Posts
Make one of the semi permenant ones that are like an accordion. A piece of plywood for each end, and a polytarp for the middle. Used to have one and was a great shanty. Folds right down on itself, but when set up was 4' x 10'. Could fish 4 across in it. Just make tarp long enough to hang down and cover with snow or ice anchor it in. Pole inside acorss roof to hold out ends. Real cheap to make and your not out a lot of some idiot takes it. No floor to worry about crap on it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
shrink wrap! 2x2's, anchor it down real good;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts