Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I bought a Pergola this Spring. Now, winter is around the corner and I'm looking for some ideas for a quick, sturdy roof to put over it so I can tarp around it and guests can have a cigarette hut. Idea would be it covers it until Spring, then I'd store it. Not looking to break the bank, but open to any and all ideas.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Wife and I bought a Pergola this Spring. Now, winter is around the corner and I'm looking for some ideas for a quick, sturdy roof to put over it so I can tarp around it and guests can have a cigarette hut. Idea would be it covers it until Spring, then I'd store it. Not looking to break the bank, but open to any and all ideas.
Shrink Wrap

·
Super Moderator
37,502 Posts
Get an appropriate sized piece of 45 mil EPDM from a local commercial roofer or roof supply house.

·
Registered
18,254 Posts
If goat smelling blue tarps are not the cosmetic delight of a Mr's or the neighbors...
Family Farm and Home had some canvas tarps in a drab color on sale/clearance.

Make sure it can hold wind force trying to sail a tarp or tarps. Snow load,ice, ect.
Southern exposure should be warmest, and maybe left open.

Single guests can get by with a golf umbrella if not windy out.
That's my winter shelter...And no , I don't golf.

Reactions: multibeard

·
Registered
159 Posts
I buy used billboard vinyls online for my boat covers. Shipping costs more than the vinyl itself, but still way less than shrink wrap. I buy a 14' x 48' every 2 years, cut it in half and trim to fit my 19' boat. I get a full year out of each half. Tie it down with good rubber bungees and removable plastic grommets. Billboardvinyls.com, they have occasional sales once you get on their email list. I think it would suit your pergola well.

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
A friend wanted something to cover his that would not collect water but proved shade.He ended up with garbage picked trampoline material trimmed and sewed to fit.Worked like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts