Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't hunt the opener because of work and I had a final exam at night so I played hooky this morning and it payed off.
Setup at 6 am and at 6:15 they were gobbling on the roost off on the neighbors property. When they flew down they went silent right away. I kept calling periodically and at 8 am i heard a tom gobble 3 times a few hundred yards away. At 9 I still hadn't seen a bird so I started picking up my stuff to go home. I walked out into the field and got the decoy and was headed back to my ground blind when 2 hens came into the field only 75 yards away. Thought I was busted but they didn't seem to mind me out in the open so I jumped back into my blind and got setup again. The 2 slowly worked there way over to me and the small hen began feeding on bugs on the outside branches of my blind-4 feet away. She stayed within 10 yards of me for 20 minutes. I took pictures of her and she didn't even care when I was moving around. At 9:45 I decided I would just get up and leave to go to work even though she was still right by me. I walked out to the field edge and was picking up my decoy I had thrown in the weeds when I seen a fan out about 200 yards:yikes: . I rammed the decoy into the ground only 5 feet in front of me and dove back into the blind. I started calling again and the gobbler started heading my way. Next thing I know the small hen is back standing next to the decoy I just put up in front of me and her and I start having a shouting match. Now I have my decoy and a live decoy at point blank range and the gobbler is strutting over in my direction. He never gobbled til he was 50 yards away and he swas in strut from the time I seen him to the time I pulled the trigger. He stopped at 30 yards and turned sideways and thats when it all ended.
It had a 7 5/8" beard
1 1/8 " spurs
weighed 22 pounds
It was real exciting calling him in and seeing him strut the whole way in and then the perfect weather as the sun was glowing in his fan. A hunt I will not soon forget.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
congrats, but as a wise poster once said, this post is worthless without photos!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Nice work.....Congrats.....Mack

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A lot of success on here goosebustr
Are you jacked up yet

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In response to mathews 583. No I didn't make into work on time. I showed up an hour later than what I had said I would. Luckily my boss hunts a little so she under stood why I was running late.
I didn't think my season would be done so quickly. Now I have a couple of weeks of free time. I will probably keep a close eye on how things are going on the property until the late season begins. My wife who has never hunted before said she would like to try turkey hunting this spring:D . Man am I excited. I am really going to try and get her a bird and hopefully she will get hooked on it. Maybe then she will begin to understand why I want to be out in the woods so much.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Cool story.

Glad that you were able to score.

Theres kind of a letdown when you get that bird on your first trip out....sure makes for a long wait until the next time. Hopefully your wife will decide to hunt!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, glad you could get one. I know the feeling of getting one that first day. We were able to shoot at 6:44am and were done by 6:50am, this year. So, sometimes it just works out that way. Wouldn't you rather everything work out than have to sit there all season and not see anything?;) That's the way it usually works with me and hunting waterfowl. LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts