Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! Just thought I'd toss up a short update today as I have plans to be very busy on the water for the rest of the week and there seems to be a little interest. I've only been out twice since my last post on the 21st, both times for brief excursions, but also successful on both occasions...

I worked the shop on the 22nd so I didn't have a chance to hit the water and on the 23rd I spent most of the daylight hours with John at his new cabin unloading furniture, hanging cabinets and fixing a leak in the plumbing I did for him the week prior. Got done early enough however that I did have a few hours left to walk in for a while, so I did for about and hour and a half hooking and landing one very nice hen on my second cast and then losing an even better fish to some wood just before I walked out.

Spoke with two other fellows who were leaving as I was on my way in and they had lost one Steelie and hit a trout or two if I remember correctly. It was nice to be out and not have to de-ice the guides for a change, but Taz was extremely upset when the fish I landed swam out of the net while I was trying to get my mini tripod set up for a quick photo, he never got to kiss the fish...

The 24th was shop again until 1:00 when we closed just in time for me to run home and watch my Steelers put a big whoopin' on the Browns... A very nice Christmas eve present indeed. A win against the mighty Lions on new years day or a loss for KC puts us in the play offs, I think we'll make it.

Christmas morning was spent with my wife, but by 1:00 in the afternoon Herb, our friend Geoff and I were all on the water for a power float thru a quick section of river. Not much going on at all for us in the first few spots, but eventually I got my Christmas wish by way of a very hot hen that took a small black stone, put up one heck of a fight and was eventually bagged for a quick couple of photos. It just doesn’t get much better than that.

Shortly after getting my fish Geoff struck home with a nice little skipper and that was to be it until the next spot where we were rewarded with a few decent browns to round off the day. Not bad at all considering we were off by 4:30 and actual fishing time was somewhere around 2 1/2 hours.

Geoff working a run...

Merry Christmas is what Herb and I are thinking!

The high five after Herb bagged a hot hen for me.

It was the best Christmas present I could think of!

Geoff with a nice little skipper.

I can only hope that everyone else had an enjoyable day as well... The water was and is in very good shape with just enough stain to help rather than hinder and up around four inches, if that, from the normal low. (We didn't get as much rain as many other places did apparently.) I'm in the shop right now, but will be closing around 2:00 today so that Karen, Herb and I can head off to some holiday parties. The rest of our schedule is closed on Tuesday, (And every Tuesday for the winter.) 9 to 5 Thursday & Friday, 9 to 3 on Saturday, closed on Sunday and then it's back to 9 to 5 Wednesday thru Monday after that.

There's actually been a fair number of people in that were going out fishing on the river already today and I expect that traffic will be up between now and the new year at least with all the good fishing weather we have coming and many folks having the time off. This "extra" pressure may slow the fishing a bit from what it's been, but you can't beat being out there either way!

I know that I plan on being on the water every day starting tomorrow and we have a fair number of friends up for the week that are planning on the same. If you do plan on heading up I wouldn't worry too much about what sections to fish as apparently just about every one of them is doing just fine on the days they decide to bite. I've spoken with several buddies who have been out recently in places I haven't and it looks like between us we've covered all the water from M-37 on down to Scottville with fair to great success depending on the day. Guess I'd better wrap this up for now and if I get a chance, I'll "try" and post another update before next weekend.

Tight lines all and a happy new year!
Steve

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Steve, you've got a gem for a wife. Out for trout on Christmas day! Sounds like you've got a keeper. Itch

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Excellent report Steve. Thanks. I almost fished one of the lower sections Saturday, but with the short days, I need better planning.

Happy New Year to you and all the guys at Baldwin Bait and Tackle and your wife too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I hit the PM today below the flies only. Nothing going for me... a small rainbow saved the skunk right before dark. I stopped by BBT this AM, about 10:30 and it was closed... must be because it is slow right now.

Although the catching was not good, it was a nice day to be out and I had a stretch of river all to myself... that made the trip worth it.

As for baits, I tried an arsenal: #3 Mepps spinner, countdown rapalas, spawn under bobber, spawn bottom bouncing, waxies under bobber, waxies bottom bouncing, etc, etc.

Going to Tippy tomorrow w/ my dad. Sounds like a few site members might be there as well. I'll be fishing the Brethren side... stop by and say Hi. I'll be wearing a blue/black North Face jacket.

Later,
Zob

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rest of our schedule is closed on Tuesday, (And every Tuesday for the winter.) 9 to 5 Thursday & Friday, 9 to 3 on Saturday, closed on Sunday...
ZobZob,

You must have missed that part! :) We went down in the mid river Tuesday as well, did a litle better going 6 for 8 on Steelies and 3 trout all told for the group, will try and report on it and more later this week, got to go get ready to fish again right now... The coffee just finished!

Good luck to you today!
Steve

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ZobZob,

You must have missed that part! :) We went down in the mid river Tuesday as well, did a litle better going 6 for 8 on Steelies and 3 trout all told for the group, will try and report on it and more later this week, got to go get ready to fish again right now... The coffee just finished!

Good luck to you today!
Steve
Sorry, I was a bit disgusted after hearing you rant about the Steelers if I recall correctly. Being a huge Bears fan for the last twenty years and seeing your beloved Steelers crush our hopes of homefield throughout the playoffs a few weeks ago was too much to bare. Anyhow, thanks for the report... I've still got a lot to learn about the PM by any means... never had much luck there on the steelies... have done well on the resident trout a few times though.

Zob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts