Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Perch Tips- Mudders? Chum?

3185 23
Does anyone on here use mudders when perch fishing? It used to be a common practice to bounce a small anchor on bottom to create a sediment disturbance and attract fish.
Does anyone chum?
Reactions: St. Clair Slayer
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
I was just talking about this with snortwhezze I have the old mudder that hasn’t seen water in years it seems to work sometimes . Think I’ll give it a try again this year and post my results.
I tie perch patterned Husky Jerks (hookless) on mine as well as some mylar strands. My dad's bud had orange triangle flags on his.
Maybe the clearer water has this practice going by the way side. Lord knows if you follow my threads you know I am no where near the perch killer as many of the MS posters are.
I was just talking about this with snortwhezze I have the old mudder that hasn’t seen water in years it seems to work sometimes . Think I’ll give it a try again this year and post my results.
Reactions: Old lund
Not exactly following the subject matter of your post, but an old timer tell me sometime back that he would attach a can of oil based tuna/mackerel on a line. He would also punch a few holes in the can to release scent. I tried it more for ice fishing it does seem to keep fish in the hole area.
Reactions: eucman and Tryin2
I use to go out on the perch boat in Port Austin when Capt. Nichols ran it. He would always get on the microphone and tell all of the fishermen in the boats that followed him out in the morning to shut of heir fish finders while they are anchored around his boat. He always said that if you leave them on, you will get the smaller perch but not the bigger ones. They will avoid the area due to the sonar signals they are feeling with the fish finders on while you are anchored. Don't know how true this is, but he would make that announcement evrey day to the fishermen surrounding his charter boat, and I make this a practice while anchored for the perch.
I’ve done something similar to that for sturgeon. Made frozen soup cans full of puréed minnows, pond chow, night crawlers, and fish oil
Not exactly following the subject matter of your post, but an old timer tell me sometime back that he would attach a can of oil based tuna/mackerel on a line. He would also punch a few holes in the can to release scent. I tried it more for ice fishing it does seem to keep fish in the hole area.
is that the same capt. nichols that run a perch charter out of south haven on lk. mi 40+ years ago,?.
I use to go out on the perch boat in Port Austin when Capt. Nichols ran it. He would always get on the microphone and tell all of the fishermen in the boats that followed him out in the morning to shut of heir fish finders while they are anchored around his boat. He always said that if you leave them on, you will get the smaller perch but not the bigger ones. They will avoid the area due to the sonar signals they are feeling with the fish finders on while you are anchored. Don't know how true this is, but he would make that announcement evrey day to the fishermen surrounding his charter boat, and I make this a practice while anchored for the perch.
Yes it is the same guy.
is that the same capt. nichols that run a perch charter out of south haven on lk. mi 40+ years ago,?.
ya, he would talk about me, on the loud speaker, it would go something like this"ladys n gentmen my job is to put u on fish, it's your job to catchum, watch that guy in the boat with the old elgin motor" i would find his boat when i got to the lake, because he always new where the perch were, n i would feed the fish fresh n alive softshell crabs it was the bait to have in july n i always had them,,,,those were the days
Yes it is the same guy.
And he always said to the fishermen surrounding his boat " I am the best fish finder around, so turn yours off " He also introduced me to using two gutter spikes (long nails) as a sinker because he said they clink together and make a sound that would make the perch curious in deep water. He always said it works better than a mudder.
ya, he would talk about me, on the loud speaker, it would go something like this"ladys n gentmen my job is to put u on fish, it's your job to catchum, watch that guy in the boat with the old elgin motor" i would find his boat when i got to the lake, because he always new where the perch were, n i would feed the fish fresh n alive softshell crabs it was the bait to have in july n i always had them,,,,those were the days
Would the Northland buckshot rattle claw work? I think they are designed for ice fishing but I don't see why open water would be any different if you are just jiggin
I am not familiar with this thing, but now I am curious as to what it is and will Google it.
Would the Northland buckshot rattle claw work? I think they are designed for ice fishing but I don't see why open water would be any different if you are just jiggin
I saw it in an ice fishing you tube vid. It works as a mudder and clacker at the same time. Seemed to work well through the hard water.
If it works jigging hard water season, it will work jigging from a boat if there is no current. I know people that use jigging raps during spring/summer months and catch perch on them. Harry, (ficious jigs) uses his tear drops all year long for perch and gills.
I saw it in an ice fishing you tube vid. It works as a mudder and clacker at the same time. Seemed to work well through the hard water.

13 1/2 inches, fire tiger hali and shrimp Friday. Chumming works in my opinion, shrimp, cat food, frozen minnow chum.# l luv big girls and whale hunting.
So true…..it can help.
I’ll never forget one time in the fall years ago my brother and I were anchored in a spot and not having much luck on the perch. My brother was getting ready to pull the anchor and started the boat first to let it warm up a bit. I still had a line in the water and immediately got a fish. I dropped my line back down and popped another as soon as it hit the bottom. I yelled at him to stop as he was just about ready to pull the anchor. We ended up never moving that morning but eventually did turn the motor off. Ended up with a nice mess of perch. We both still talk about it.
Run the motor occasionally when the bites slows.
Never heard of running the motor to attract the perch, but hey, if it works for you, I'll definitely try it out to see if it works for me. I know perch are a curious creature, and maybe they hear the noise of the motor and come around to check it out. Thanks! I know that in Port Austin, the perchcharter captain sometimes put two gutter hanging spikes on a line and bounced that off of the bottom so they made a noise to attract the perch. They were long alluminum nails and he just tied them onto a fishing line together.
Captain Nichols perch charter is where I caught my largest perch to date back in around 1994. It’s on the wall lol, only fish I caught that day too
We use silkscreen bags tied to a mushroom anchor. Throw a few 1/2 opened tuna, cat food, and dog food cans. When the bite slows drop it back down and they’ll come back. Did about 15 trips to Erie about 4-5 years ago and hit the same waypoint every time. 200-250 fish a trip. We’d show up not marking anything then drop the chum bag. Fish on
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.