Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Perch this weekend

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Brivander 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Going to be heading out Sat or Sun this weekend to try and pick up some perch. When trying to locate is it better to find a spot and sit on it, use the trolling motor to move around and try to locate them or just drift with the wind/current?

#2 ·
I usually anchor up and give it 20 or 30min. Last weekend we had fished about 20min or so and had tried 4 other spots with not much happening. Hadnt caught a fish in this spot peroid. We were fishing with 4 lines and started pulling them to move when a fish hit the last line in. So we decided to stay. They turned on and we caught 52 including a 14in fish and we never moved. Called RYGUY down to where we were. They were still biting when we left. RYGUY was fishing about 30yrds away and they caught 100. Just keep moving. I will be out there Saturday weather permitting. Give me a shout and I will let you know if I have found them. I dont mind sharing my spots. I can give you some GPS numbers for a good place to start. But last week they werent there in good size and numbers. We ended up about a 1/2 mile to the south. They move all the time one day there and one day not. And make sure that minnow is less than 6inches from the bottom.

#6 ·
I will fish for whatever will bite, im not picky but i am brining my boss out this weekend and want to get on some good action. I have never really been able to get on the perch hot and heavy. I always look for your posts this time of year to see how they are biting. I dont have a boat so i am at the mercy of my fishing partner. If you could post or message me a few good starting locations that would be great. Good luck on Sat.

#7 · (Edited)
Sigman. Where do you put in at??
In the summer I put in at Sterling State park. Good Perch fishing off stoney point in the summer. In the fall its Erie Metropark. Murphdogg....Do you have a GPS? I am at work right now and dont have my numbers but can get them to you after I get home. If I make it out Saturday it will be my last day only because the wife is having surgery. If I find them I will mark it and give you the numbers. And when you go dont go cheap on the minnows. We usually get 6 dozen between me and Crappie Depot. I would rather dump $15 worth of minnows than get out there and find them and run out 5 miles from the dock. And guys if you have any LIVE leftover minnows the metropark where they keep the eagle will take them to feed the fish they have in the tanks. And if ya have any small perch that are gonna die anyway dont throw them to the gullls. Save them and drop them off for the eagle on your way out.

#12 ·
In the summer I put in at Sterling State park. Good Perch fishing off stoney point in the summer. In the fall its Erie Metropark. Murphdogg....Do you have a GPS? I am at work right now and dont have my numbers but can get them to you after I get home. If I make it out Saturday it will be my last day only because the wife is having surgery. If I find them I will mark it and give you the numbers. And when you go dont go cheap on the minnows. We usually get 6 dozen between me and Crappie Depot. I would rather dump $15 worth of minnows than get out there and find them and run out 5 miles from the dock. And guys if you have any LIVE leftover minnows the metropark where they keep the eagle will take them to feed the fish they have in the tanks. And if ya have any small perch that are gonna die anyway dont throw them to the gullls. Save them and drop them off for the eagle on your way out.

I always get to many minnows just in case. Yes i do have gps. Does anyone know if Elizabeth park launch is still open?

#13 ·
Would be a bit of a ride but if Elizabeth? is open ya could go. But when its kinda cold and they forcast wind over 15mph I will stay home :gaga: Not like I am still 20 and shoveling snow out of the boat to go fishing at 1am. And yes I have......... :tdo12:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.