Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into perch spearing last year with limited success. We were cutting large holes in the ice with a chain saw, and spearing in 7-10 feet of water. We were attaching rope to our spears, and lowering them down to about 2 feet above the perch before simply letting go of the spear. We never threw the spears. Maybe that is why we had limited success. I think we were spearing in too deep of water. I don't want to use a chain saw anymore to make a hole either. I have a 4" and a 8" auger, along with a spud. We have a few questions and would really appreciate some help. Thank you in advance.

1. How deep of water will you spear perch in?

2. How big a hole do you make for spearing?

3. How do you make your hole?

4. How do you release your spear?

5. Is it a good idea to use a decoy? If so, how do I use one?

6. Do you use a leash on the end of your spear to ensure you don't drop it through the hole? If so, what type? String? Rope?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Spearing in fun. I call it revenge fishing for all the ones who do not hit your lures. Here is how I do it.

1. I like to spear in fairly shallow water if possible, the deeper you get I find it a little harder to get them.

2. and 3. I make my hole with a five inch auger. I drill two holes close together and then spud out the middle.

4. I hold the spear with the head about a foot or two under the water and just release it. I found when I try to throw it down it has a tendancy to plane in the water especially if it is deeper.

5. Decoys? I have used them in the past and I do sometimes think that they do help but because I usually fish with a smaller hole than others and usually fish with a lure I generally do not use one. If the fish looks at my lure without hitting hit and you can usually tell after a while if they have lockjaw then down goes the spear. If you just use a decoy, I tie it to 8 pound test and just pull it up and down in the water column. The ones I have have nice fins on them and they work like a jigging rapala. In fact alot of the time I just use a jigging rapala instead of the decoy. You have two chances that way, one catching them on the rapala and then the spear if they are stubborn.

6. I use decoy line on the end of my spear. I want to say that I have about ten feet or so tied on it. I tie the end of the decoy line to a brace in my flipover shanty so I do not lose it.

Good Luck, It can get in your blood. Come on.......clear water.

Bob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Never did this sounds lke fun. My 14 year would love it. He spear fished Gar pike up north with a buddy of his but he threw the spear at them from above the water. You say you put the spear under the water about a foot or two and just release it. how fast does the spear go? Don't the fish swimm away before it stabs them? How heavy is the spear to drop down fast enough to stab them before they swim away.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

6. Do you use a leash on the end of your spear to ensure you don't drop it through the hole? If so, what type? String? Rope?
1 - shallow is better....8 ft was the deepest I tried
2 - as big as possible
3 - auger and spud out the connectors
4 - lower it into the water and throw like a dart
5 - never got into that...have tried using a jigging rap before
6 - yup...light string...tied to the shanty

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1. 6 to 7 ft is deep enough. Depends on the length of your spear and the height of your shanty. I have some long handled spears that were made in the 50's and were my grandfathers.

2. Holes as big as possible 2x2, 2x4, 2x6

3. Chainsaw. Jenny O is coming up tomorrow and we are going to try to get some spearing tape. If successful you might see it in a few weeks. Going to use a borrowed shanty that we are setting up in the morning. Ice saw will be used to cut the hole. You can stay relatively dry using a chainsaw. One key is to make sure the cuts are vertical.

4. Lower the spear as close as you can to the fish (1-2 ft) and give it a gentle but firm and smooth push.

5. Decoy will more than double your catch for the season.

6. Light rope secured to a cup hook or a small eye screw.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks guy's. I think i am going to try and learn this weekend or Monday. It sounds exciting and challenging. I will report how big the biggest one is when I spear my limit. lol. just joking. Can I buy a spear at one of the sporting goods store, Like Dicks or Gander mountain.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I live by richmond but I go out to cotton road and fair haven a lot. And it depends on how big you want it. The one I use I seen at a bait shop for 55 and I sell it for 30.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a couple fish stick in the mud yesterday and pull off the spear. Currently I have the barbs on the tines pinched closed. I need to open them up a little so this doesn't happen again. Left a perfect imprint on the fish in the bottom with spear mark across it.

·
Registered
981 Posts

1. 6ft or less
2. 1ft x 4 ft
3. Auger 3 or 4 holes in a row spud out the middle
4. I lower the spear and most of the times just stab thel without releasing it.
5. Yes..alternate....yo ucan tel right away if it is bothering them. If it isn't leave it down in hopes of bringing in a pike :)
6. Yup 6 ft of small rope

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just started using a spear this year myself. I cannt believe I've waited this long.

Huh lockjaw, ahh mmm well then I guess you just need to FEEL THE STEEL!

Oh and dont be afraid to lead the fish a little if they start moving before you release the spear.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had a couple fish stick in the mud yesterday and pull off the spear. Currently I have the barbs on the tines pinched closed. I need to open them up a little so this doesn't happen again. Left a perfect imprint on the fish in the bottom with spear mark across it.
Smaller fish will sometimes fit between the tines. Stuck one in the mud today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts