Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was the first time I went perch fishing and loved it. I was using St. Croix Walleye Rig (love the St. Croix and now considering G Loomis) and would now like to invest in a dedicated perch rig.

• What brand pole and length should I look at?
    • Ultra Light, Light, Fast Action?
  • What brand spinning reel should I get?
  • Should I use mono, braid, fluoro and at lb?
Thanks in advance for your recommendations!!!

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Dog Product Rectangle Font Screenshot
I use a Perch Stopper rod, 5' med action good for cranking up those fish from 20'. Line 10-15 lb braid, reel cheap just need fast retrieve. I use a drop shot rig with 1 oz wt for 20 fow and sometimes attach a snelled hook to the snap with the weight. I am going to setup a rod with mono just to see if that helps with the lite biters that seem to get off on the way up. Erie outfitters had a special rod/reel/line for $39.95, you'll have a hard time beating that price, pic attached. Have to call not on his website as far as I know. Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 267426 I use a Perch Stopper rod, 5' med action good for cranking up those fish from 20'. Line 10-15 lb braid, reel cheap just need fast retrieve. I use a drop shot rig with 1 oz wt for 20 fow and sometimes attach a snelled hook to the snap with the weight. I am going to setup a rod with mono just to see if that helps with the lite biters that seem to get off on the way up. Erie outfitters had a special rod/reel/line for $39.95, you'll have a hard time beating that price, pic attached. Have to call not on his website as far as I know. Good luck
Thanks for the reply and I'll stop by and check it out.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
If I was starting over on a perch rig....

I would go with a 6' ML w/ extra fast tip. Pair it with a Pflueger President, with a good retrieve ratio to get fish up without having to crank 100 times.

As for the Loomis vs. the St. Croix...I much prefer what St. Croix has to offer.

I typically hold one rod in my hand and put another in a rod holder or lay in on the gunwhale. Some days it's best to hold it, some days you gotta let it lay in the mud. One tap and start cranking and you will rarely hook 'em deep. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Don't over think it,I use cheap zebco 33 reels and 5ft cheap rod.When they wear out I just toss them.Have seen to many expensive rod and reels get yanked overboard by sheephead.Sheephead tore up one of my reels last time out.New reel 20$.

·
Premium Member
8,304 Posts
I am not fishing very deep but make some long throws so I have a lot of slack at times.

I fish fly rods for the length to help pick up the slack and set the hook using slip bobbers. On most of my rods I have in ultra light reels. Nothing like fighting a 14 inch perch on a fly rod.

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
You can catch Perch on anyting but this would be a very good recommendation: St. Croix Premier Spinning Rod, PS60ULF paired with your Pflueger President. You won't be sorry. I use 8 lb P-line CXX clear due to all the Bass, Pike and Muskie and rarely break off but it does happen. Haven't broke a rod yet and I've put them though the test. Good luck with your decision!

·
collector
4,451 Posts
I like a longer rod... I use a wright & mcgill 7' fast action made about 40 yrs ago... called a Denico featherlite.... there a hard to find these days but worth the money... I find them on ebay...heres a pic of them shore fishing the sag bay cuts...
Garden tool Tool Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Grass Gas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can catch Perch on anyting but this would be a very good recommendation: St. Croix Premier Spinning Rod, PS60ULF paired with your Pflueger President. You won't be sorry. I use 8 lb P-line CXX clear due to all the Bass, Pike and Muskie and rarely break off but it does happen. Haven't broke a rod yet and I've put them though the test. Good luck with your decision!
Thank you for the recommendation and I'm planning to check these all out later in the week.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
It kind of depends. If you like a rod sitting in a holder or the side of a boat, a noodle type rod with a slow action is best, the wave action will bend the rod without allowing the sinkers to come off the bottom. You could go with anything from 5 foot to 10 or more feet. For a sitting still rod, I prefer a good 10 foot steelhead rod.

As for a holding rod, I'm partial to hand built rods so I build my own. I prefer a 7ft medium light rod with a fast action. The medium light has some nice bend at the tip with allows for wave action without bringing the sinker off the bottom. Stiffer rods you will find that (depending on the model) you have to move you arms with the wave action to avoid the sinkers coming off the bottom all the time.

Then again, they are perch and you can catch them on everything from a tent pole to a bamboo stick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.