Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has them? Taking the wife and 2 of my granddaughters, age 7&9, Friday. Going out of either Linwood or Gambills depending on where I need to get bait. This is only the third attempt ever at trying for perch. The kids hate trolling for eyes, they say "this isn't fishing! We're just driving around!!" :dizzy: Going to try near 1-2 but any suggestions where I can keep these 2 kids having fun is certainly welcome.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Who has them? Taking the wife and 2 of my granddaughters, age 7&9, Friday. Going out of either Linwood or Gambills depending on where I need to get bait. This is only the third attempt ever at trying for perch. The kids hate trolling for eyes, they say "this isn't fishing! We're just driving around!!" :dizzy: Going to try near 1-2 but any suggestions where I can keep these 2 kids having fun is certainly welcome.
I know they had minnows at the Party Dock on Patterson Rd. and I am pretty sure that they used to get their minnows from Franks when they ran out. Franks should have them but I have not been there yet to find out. As far as where to go I know that one of the posts stated they fished west of the SparkPlug which I believe is 9 and 10 buoys but not positive. Some have been talking about getting them in 18 to 20 foot of water northwest of Linwood and a few have been caught east of Spoils Island. If all else fails just check to see where the boats are anchored as they should be perch fishing rather than after walleyes. Best I can do unless someone else has better information.:help:
Good luck and I hope you are able to get into some for the kids sake. They can have a ball with perch if you get into them..:woohoo1:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
We fished the west side and stayed in less than 20 fow and did pretty well on perch tuesday. Good luck plenty of perch around just gota sort through them. We had quite a few quality fish over the 13 inch range. Cant tell ya how many shorts we tossed back.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I will be heading out later in the morning get out of works at 830 so should be on the water by 11. Taking grandsons also going to start out at some old numbers from last year and if that doesn't work will hit the black hole.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoping to be on the water by 11 myself. Thanks for the PMs guys. I remember reading somewhere that those perch guys were a tight lipped bunch.:whistle: Gambills it is and will be monitoring 68 . 16ft white/blue Sylvan. Report later.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Son works at Gander in Saginaw. He said they have the good shiners in now.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As of yesterday the Dockside had golden shiners from Wisconsin. Franks had mostly mud minnows from what I saw. Northwoods had shiners on the small side but workable. I will check Gander shortly. Riverview was out yesterday but was expecting a load in today.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Franks has Golden Shiners and Sand Shiners...same as party dock. Emeralds are very hard to come by this time of year. Good Luck out there!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I could say we killed em' but got nothing but dinks. At best I could have taken home maybe 20 or so in the 7" -8"range but threw them all back. Kids had a ball when I finally found some in around 16'. Constant action made it hard for them to get bored or even get down a sandwich. Talk on radio had some guys doing OK with a few 14" perch. Tried Gamakatsu circle/octopus hooks for the first time today. In the past I was getting really bothered by the amount of small perch that were hooked to deep and would die. 25% or more of them feeding the skyrats was just unacceptable. I didn't have one fish die on us today!! Now my hook of choice for perchin'.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Wish I could say we killed em' but got nothing but dinks. At best I could have taken home maybe 20 or so in the 7" -8"range but threw them all back. Kids had a ball when I finally found some in around 16'. Constant action made it hard for them to get bored or even get down a sandwich. Talk on radio had some guys doing OK with a few 14" perch. Tried Gamakatsu circle/octopus hooks for the first time today. In the past I was getting really bothered by the amount of small perch that were hooked to deep and would die. 25% or more of them feeding the skyrats was just unacceptable. I didn't have one fish die on us today!! Now my hook of choice for perchin'.
Thanks for that info. I hate seeing the dumpster chickens pick off a small perch when I throw it back. I know they have to eat also but would just as soon see them keep feeding from the dumpsters.:rant:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts