Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the limit on Perch on an inland lake (I read it to be 50) some guys on Muskegon Lake were saying 35.

White Bass & White Perch = samething?? I was catching some of what I would call white bass yesterday on Muskegon Lake. Guys fishing next to me called them White Perch - said a CO told them that's what they were. Looks like the limit on White Bass is 25, didn't see a mention of White Perch, but I'm thinking they're the same thing.

If the limit on perch is 50, and white bass is 25, does that mean you could have 75 fish? Or, does the 25 white bass(Perch?) could toward a total of 50 "panfish" I was also told this by the guys on the lake yesterday. I don't read it that way in the regs, and limits have never been a concern of mine:( But people tell you things...makes you wonder

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I don't know the answers to your questions, but as far as people telling you stuff, I've discovered that most people are crazy and don't know what they're talking about but want you to think they do. ;) :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
According to the 2003 fishing guide, there is no limit on white perch.Table 3 pg 20-21."All others" no possession limit,except trout,salmon.There is a limit on yellow perch which is 50 statewide, except Lake michigan below the 45th parallel the limit is 35. Yellow perch is which is commonly known as "perch".White perch on the other hand, is sometimes called "silver bass".It is NOT to be confused with the white bass, which has a 10 fish limit(25 on Gr. lakes and connecting waters)Yes you can catch a different species after catching one species as long it is not "a combination limit"as laid out on pg. 20-21 of the 2003 fishing guide. For example, if you are on a inland lake and have caught a limit of 4 walleyes, and 1 smallmouth bass,you cannot catch any pike, flathead cats, sauger, and largemouths.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Muskegon Lake

Limit on perch on inland lakes is 50.

White bass and white perch are not the same thing.

White bass on inland waters is a 10 fish limit.

If you had 10 white bass, you can only have 40 perch on inland lakes. The limit on inland waters is 50 fish if combining white bass, yellow perch, sunfishes, whitefish and lake herring.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/coolwaterfish_60952_7.pdf

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - from the color and markings on that site - I would have guessed we were catching white bass.

·
Registered
822 Posts
So what are ones you somtimes catch on St. Clair near the shipping channel? Everyone I know calls them siver Bass, are these the same thing as a white bass?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
nope, the eurasian ruffe is an invasive species and there are no limits, in fact, you are supposed to kill them when you get them. (do not put them back in the water).

heres a website for it eurasian ruffe

steve

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Thanks Steve, I knew they were an invasive species, but wasn't sure on their identification. I thought they looked quite similar to a White Perch. Appreciate the link. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts