Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start this morning but still managed to keep 14 real nice fish out in front of the Ford estate in about 12' of water. Had a couple 12" class fish.:)

Will probably be out tomorrow morning again to give it a try. Unfortunately the wind forecast looks about the same as today.

Ed

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW - The sailboaters are a bunch of idiots. Had a couple boats cut really close to us while we were anchored and one smaller boat almost run into us. I let him have it. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Large emarlds.

Tried today with little success. They seemed to shut down at around 9:00 this morning and I could not get them going again.

Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
In defense of the sailboaters, what is percieved as being "close" on a power boat, is completely different from a sailboat. Racing sailboats, which is what I assume you were involved with, operate in close quarters with other sailboats. Any change in course causes them to lose speed, and they do everything they can to hold their course. I would bet that they knew right where you were, and exactly how close they were coming to you. If you ever think you are in danger of them colliding with you, give them a warning beep on your horn, or a yell (sailboats are quiet, and the sailors can hear everything). Next time they come close, ask how the race is going, I'll bet you get a positive response.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice! went out Sat. off the S. Channel sat. night, caught a bunch of dinks and one decent size Walleye, on a perch rig nonetheless (old 2 minnow one hook trick, ha ha), great fight on a 5'6" ultra light. Had sail boat issues as well, heading back into the channel we dodged probably 30 sail boats, all with their spinnakers up and all over the channel. I'd say out of those 30 boats 7 had all their lights working (bow, stern and mast), most had no mast light and maybe, I stress maybe, both bow lights working. This made things pretty interesting. I will say 2 of them had the good sense of shining their handheld spot light into the sail.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds like some sailboaters need to take a course on how to operate a vessel.

If it is 30 minutes prior to sunset or beyond, you should have navigational lights operational. Just like on your car folks.

Also, I don't care if you lose speed, it is dangerous and impolite to buzz within an unreasonable distance to me b/c you want to maintain a course and speed.

Although bad drivers come in all shapes and sizes, I have had MUCH more issues with sailboaters than powerboaters which would seem backwards as a sailboater travels at a drastically reduced speed and should have absolutely no problem changing course before I have to yell at you (and I will). Get a clue sailboaters, you don't own the lake.

BTW good job on the perch, many are struggling so far with the temps still warm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
First I'd like to say good job to everyone on what sounds like a good day of fishing. I will now open myself up to attack by confessing that I was one of those sailors out there racing on Saturday. As an avid fisherman and sailboat racer, I have a few comments.
1) There are a lot of idiots on the water, but I have had far more problems with power boaters (while both sailing and fishing), than I have with sailors.
2) SteelEd -I will never defend a sailor who cuts too close to an anchored fisherman. In fact, on several occasions, I have reemed out a driver who I felt got unnecessarily close to an anchored fishing boat. However, Eddie J is correct in his assessment of what is considered "close". While racing, we routinely come within 2-3' of each other and have complete control of the boats. It is just a part of the sport when races are often won and lost by a matter of feet. However, I agree that it is incredibly rude for a sailor to come this close to a fishing boat. That being said, I think most fishermen expect sailors to give them way too much room. Like wannabao said, sailors don't own the lake, but neither do fishermen. If a sailboat is racing and passes 10' away from you and doesn't snag your lines there is no reason to be upset.
3) Pour Decisions - as far as having to dodge 30 sailboats while heading back into the channel, what is your complaint? Just like a sailboat is required to keep clear of an anchored boat, a boat under power is required to keep clear of the boat under sail. As annoying as the congestion may have been, that just part of sharing the water with our fellow boaters.
4) As far as knowing the "rules of the road", I must tell you that in general, the sailors are far more knowledgeable than the powerboaters. While you will find idiots on both sides, I have found that a much larger percentage of sailors have attended a safety and seamanship course or seminar than powerboaters. The comments below regarding navigation lights is a perfect example. First, Michigan law requires the use of navigation lights between sunset and sunrise, not 30 before (although it is not a bad idea to make yourself more visible). In response to Pour's comments, since the boats were under sail, no mast light is required. On a sailboat, a single masthead white light visible at 360deg is the anchor light and should not be on while sailing. If you did see a few mast lights, I'm sure they were the three color lights that replace the requirement for the bow and stern lights. As far as your comment about boats not having both bow lights working, I just don't believe you. I sail regularly with most of these boats and know that they keep the nav lights working. When you are sailing in close quarters with other boats and don't have the noise of an engine to warn you when someone is close, you make sure they can see you.
5) You guys have to realize that you annoy the sailors as much as they annoy you. They regularly deal with idiots in powerboats who cut right in front of them at full speed throwing up a huge wake and slowing them down while they are obviously racing, or come flying though the middle of a starting area (you know, that 1/4 mile area with an bunch of sailboats and orange bouys), when it would have take one minute more to go around.

I have been with sailors who have cut close to fishermen because some other powerboater cut them off earlier in the daay, and I have been with fishermen who knowningly interfered with a racing sailboat because they felt some other sailboat came too close to them earlier. It just becomes a vicious circle. The moral is, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Sorry if I come off as being baised toward the sailors, but I can assure you that I argue just as strongly with my sailing buddies to respect the fishermen. Anyways, if you are still reading at the end of this diatribe, congtrats on a good day of fishing, take comfort in the fact that sailing season is pretty much over, and I look forward to nailng some perch with you guys next weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
P.S.- I did here a story a few years ago about a sailor in a late season race who cut right through a layout hunters decoy spread and I want everyone to know that I would have fully supported that hunter if he had shot out the boat's mailsail if it could have been done without endangering anyones safety.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Arrig01 thanks for the info, didn't know that the mast light was not required to be on under sail, don't recall any multi-colored lights, the ones that were on were white. Don't want you to think we were cursin' up a storm at the sail boats or anything like that on our way in, like I said prior it made things interesting at 9:30 in pitch dark with limited visability. I guess if it was me on a sail boat at night I would have as many lights on as possible to make my myself highly visable, especially under sail, too many yahoos out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts