Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crew of four went East of the ditch on Sunday and fished till about noon, results 1/2 of a 5 gallon pail. Weather was fair in the morning then the wind picked up and was blowing 20-25 mph which made the ride home exciting. 4-5 foot waves in the shipping channel.

This time last year, 2-3 full 5 gallon pails were common. Question what happened to the perch???

Also fished on Friday, the 21 st, same results, lots of wind, very few fish.

The guys that went out Saturday did not fair very well, with no wind.

Gone Fishing, with a couple of less guys on the boat outfished us 2-1 Friday and Sunday. Nice job John and crew. I know what happened Sunday, he had the little guy with him, tough to beat this guy :eek:

Stay safe out there;)

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Yea Dick, Friday we had pretty steady action and ended up doing quite well. Sunday Paul and I struggled. Every fish we caught was a female and had some beauties but not a lot of them. For the last 10 years you could pretty much catch your limit at will during this time of the season but this year has been tough. At first I was thinking that the water just needed to cool down and then maybe things are just running a few weeks late this year. Well, I'm running out of ideas so maybe the fish are just not there as in past years. I'll be interested to see how the icefisherman do. BTW, that was a perfect chop for Perching (4+ footers) :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Mike, I think I might give it try this year but I'm going to need someone to show me the ropes. I know there has to be a trick to it because I never seem to catch squat. Either that or I'm just plain that bad an icefisherman! :p

·
Administrator
26,676 Posts
It was very frustrating last year. Saw alot of jumbos, they just wouldn't bite. INF and others turned to spearing which was more productive.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an idea about the slow perch fishing, lets blame it on the LSC Muskie and Bass population. Muskies eat whatever they want and the Bass feed on the little perch.:( Just a thought, have to blame it on something!:eek:

Looks like the rest of this week is out, bad weather, turkey day and another trip to the thumb area this weekend, farmer wants more deer harvested.:p

Lifes a bi--h, then you die! :mad:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just a thought, maybe they should drop the limit to 25 perch instead of 50, could be a little too much harvesting, just my .02cents.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Maybe we should just start harvesting those Muskie and Bass. ;) Seems that I'm competing for the same food as them! :p
Gee, do you think I'll get any responses to that comment? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
37,501 Posts
My tongue is bleeding all over my keyboard.:eek: ;) :D

Perch are very cyclical, but I don't think I have ever heard of a turnaround like this. I blame the Gobies for munching perch eggs, and the Zebras for filtering the plankton that are the base of the food chain.

It wouldn't be PC to blame the commercial netters.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Paul, I can't believe it took 18 minutes to get a response out of you. Must be losing your touch! ;) BTW, you know I was kidding. :)

·
Super Moderator
37,501 Posts
Of course I did John.
It did take me a while to respond on line. BTW Disconnect the wires running from your starter solenoid to the little box under the drivers seat before leaving work....;) :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
My 2 cents is that the musky are putting a hurt on the population. I wonder how many they chase down in a day. When you find them you can get them but the clear water and musky they are always moving. 25 limit would not hurt either

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
hey anyone need a great musky/bass recipe.

We could always put a slot liimit on the perch, Just like Canada. keep 1 over 13 inch. and 49 under 6 inch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Smoked Muski-Yum-Yum, big bones, no choking about it, Bass in clean, cold water, soy and ginger/garlic= cherry smoke}good times, save the Perch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts