Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great to hear @kracker ! My son and I will roll into town tomorrow mid day, do a quick scout and pick a place to sit. First time hunting this property for us, and the permission came together late. It is definitely good habitat and there are deer around, the question is will their pattern and opening day pressure work in our favor.

Weather is upper 40s and partly sunny, should work well. Drove through central PA mountains in the dark and rain last night, what a pain.

Shoot straight!

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome @338 Federal ! What county or WMU are you hunting?

We rolled into town a few hours ago and did a quick scout. Good sign - 3 large active scrapes, 2 fresh rubs and plenty of fresh droppings. All in our shooting lanes.

My son is sitting in a good spot, I’m trying to get him his first deer. I am hunting a creek bottom, pictured below. This is a pretty parcel in a pretty part of PA. The view in the photo is a typical scene through most of the state.

The spot we are hunting has an open field adjacent to the creek, which then flows though a beech-maple-hemlock forest, a relatively common forest type in PA. The terrain has a wide flat area near the creek, then rises steeply away from the creek, beginning around 150 yards away from each creek bank.

1A2341FE-EDE3-4980-89FE-8B5D89B789B7.jpeg

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have hunted for over 10 years in Greene County the sw most county. Cancer, hip replacement and stem cell transplant have stopped me last year and this year. I hope to be there next year. My brother is out today on 300 acres of private with his buddy, the owner and others. They also lease the 200+ acres next to them. It is very hilly. Nice bucks are taken every year. I do not like the Sat opener and Sun hunting. Too soon after Thanksgiving. I much preferred the Mon opener.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have hunted for over 10 years in Greene County the sw most county. Cancer, hip replacement and stem cell transplant have stopped me last year and this year. I hope to be there next year. My brother is out today on 300 acres of private with his buddy, the owner and others. They also lease the 200+ acres next to them. It is very hilly. Nice bucks are taken every year. I do not like the Sat opener and Sun hunting. Too soon after Thanksgiving. I much preferred the Mon opener.
Yeah, I’m back and forth in my opinion on it. I just spent a week hunting in Vermont so it is kind of nice not having to take more time away from work.

it sounds like you guys have a great spot. We are hunting on public land. We have a cabin on 13 acres but it backs up to public land. So far, we have only seen a couple doe.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Welcome @338 Federal ! What county or WMU are you hunting?

We rolled into town a few hours ago and did a quick scout. Good sign - 3 large active scrapes, 2 fresh rubs and plenty of fresh droppings. All in our shooting lanes.

My son is sitting in a good spot, I’m trying to get him his first deer. I am hunting a creek bottom, pictured below. This is a pretty parcel in a pretty part of PA. The view in the photo is a typical scene through most of the state.

The spot we are hunting has an open field adjacent to the creek, which then flows though a beech-maple-hemlock forest, a relatively common forest type in PA. The terrain has a wide flat area near the creek, then rises steeply away from the creek, beginning around 150 yards away from each creek bank.

View attachment 608999

I could look at that all day and be happy, deer or no deer. Beautiful. Good luck to you and your son

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
A view from my spot early this morning. My son hunted a wide open field with active scrapes and fresh sign.

No deer shot or seen for us. Today was the PA gun opener, and my son counted 43 shots, most during the afternoon. It rained three times on us, moderately heavy, but short in duration. After noon, the sky partially cleared and there was some sun. Light wind through the day.

On the drive back into town, we saw two deer on the road, go figure. A guy loosely in our "group" hunting 20 miles away shot an 8 point, but wasn't able to track him tonight. They will search for it tomorrow morning, I hope they find it.

We will be out again in the morning. It will be in the 20s overnight, but with a forecast high of 53, it should be OK. Tomorrow is our last day hunting. Monday my son heads back to Washington DC and I head back to the Hoosier State.

34EECFF4-F378-44A3-915A-5BCD78CDB2E6.jpeg

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
B3028267-CF05-4F03-96AB-7CCB4BF857C7.jpeg
637FA610-BB7F-422B-9F7E-E2BFD14BF02A.jpeg
99DB1363-E099-458F-A8E6-E1AF0487F801.jpeg
3B4D7C51-9641-4199-902B-D9031687A33F.png

had a great time out there Bear hunting with my son Maverick! What a cool place to just walk around! Wish it would have been deer season because we had plenty of opportunities on good bucks! Definitely try it again but maybe muzzleloader next time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
None of my group saw any bucks today. The other 3 guys all saw at least one doe. I didn’t see a deer all day. I was kind if surprised. We were on public land but there seemed to be very little hunting pressure today. I only saw 1 other hunter. I’m going to hunt for a couple hours in the morning tomorrow but then I have to head home for a family event. I was fortunate to get a buck in VT so I have a full freezer and no pressure. I’ll also be out the next 2 Saturdays.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My friend missed a nice buck this morning. I had a family of 3 bobcats pass me early. I left my area around 8 to help my friend search for signs that he may have hit the buck but there was none. Oh well. At least we had some activity. We’ll be heading back up on Friday evening and will be hunting all day on Saturday.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Another great hunt in the books. No deer shot or seen, but a great day with my son nevertheless. The morning was cold, 25 degrees and frosty, literally. We sat in the same spots as yesterday, my son in the open field with lots of fresh sign, and me down in the creek bottom.

Weather was sunny all day, and the high temperature reached into the 50s, with no wind. It was a great day to be in the deer woods. Around 20 shots heard today. My son had 5 turkeys 25 yards in front of him, about one hour before the end of shooting hours.

We had a nice chat with a neighbor who pulled in the driveway as we were loading gear in the car at the end of the day. Nice to meet you, Rich. There are alot of good people in the world.

Good luck to all who have hunting time left this season in Pennsy!

My grandfather’s Model 94 from the 1930s in .32 WinSpl.
332BDF0F-2898-4BFD-AE79-B2C9EB8F1213.jpeg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Seen 1 nice buck opening morning but no shot. That was the only deer seen by the 2 of us that hunted the opener. I didn't see any this morning but was only able to hunt a few hours. One of the other guys in camp shot a nice 8 point this morning so I spent part of the morning helping him get it out of the woods. We decided to pick up camp today since the forecast was for heavy rain on Monday. Overall I was extremely happy with all the sign I seen. Rubs and scrapes EVERYWHERE! There was truly more sign spread throughout the area we hunt than I have seen in 20 years. Very surprised that we only seen the 2 bucks while hunting. Sounds like there were a ton of bear hunters in that area so perhaps they bumped the deer out of there. Either that or the weather was just to nice for them to move. Not very many hunters near us to push them around. Overall good trip and looking forward to next years trip.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Great report @kracker , congratulations to the hunter in your group with the 8 point. My son's friend who shot the 8 point last night, didn't find it today. We talked to two hunters as we entered a restaurant, and one hunter in their group wounded a deer and didn't recover it. Too bad.

I agree with your comments on good sign, and low pressure, and possible that bear hunters moved the deer around. With the cold morning in our area today, I would have thought the deer would have been moving. Not much pressure near us, so that was probably a factor.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
p.s. We saw two mink in the creek that ran through the hunting property. Pretty cool, I have never seen a mink before. Funny and interesting animal.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts