Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should DNR alter Michigan's deer management strategy throughout the LP to try and limit the spread of CWD?
My concern is that the next case discovered will already be clinical and outside the core but somewhere in the management zone. When and if that happens, it could be too late for many of us.
<----<<<

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Should DNR alter Michigan's deer management strategy throughout the LP to try and limit the spread of CWD?
My concern is that the next case discovered will already be clinical and outside the core but somewhere in the management zone. When and if that happens, it could be too late for many of us.
<----<<<
That would also be a big fat no for me to!..Can we please get more evidence before we start pulling fire alarms! There hasn't even been a second case yet. Slowly (by choice apparently) but surely, lets stay the course, evaluate, and go from there.

·
Administrator
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would also be a big fat no for me to!..Can we please get more evidence before we start pulling fire alarms! There hasn't even been a second case yet. Slowly (by choice apparently) but surely, lets stay the course, evaluate, and go from there.
By management I didn't mean state wide culling. I meant more along the lines of herd management with hunting regulations. I am not for continuing to draw circles with attempts to obliterate populations. Seriously, I think we know this doesn't work.
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
30,911 Posts
By management I didn't mean state wide culling. I meant more along the lines of herd management with hunting regulations. I am not for continuing to draw circles with attempts to obliterate populations. Seriously, I think we know this doesn't work.
<----<<<

Do you mean increase antlerless quotas?

·
Registered
20,910 Posts
<----<<<
I don't know about that joe....I would say the early and continued efforts in the TB zone have worked pretty damn good. And although CWD is different, I think it would generally help there also...with a few tweaks, such as targeting young bucks.

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
<----<<<
The second case was a 2 year old male and found less than 2 miles from the initial case. Efforts should be made to eliminate every single deer within a min 5 mile radius of the first case. If not, does any other management really matter? Why leave a disease factory standing?

I just don't understand your thoughts. My take is, "if" this disease is indeed confined to a small area of say 5 miles or less, why on earth would we want to chance even one of those animals to be left standing?

·
Administrator
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thoughts are based on what the research has confirmed.
1) Older animals are more likely to be positive than younger, 2) bucks are the most likely candidates to spread the disease to other areas, 3) older bucks are the most likely deer to be positive, 4) spread of disease may be related to prion concentration and population densities, 5) cull strategies directed at older animals will likely reduce the prevalence, 6) the disease spreads slowly, but once established it is virtually impossible to eradicate.
I am sure that if these facts are incorporated into a peninsula-wide management strategy along with greatly increased surveillance, that the spread of the disease could be significantly reduced or halted...
<----<<<

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
I agree to a point. It seems we would be better served by focusing on eliminating the source at this point. It may be relatively confined. Why write off the rest of the state as if spread is inevitable. However, with the nature of this disease, I do have to admit, it doesn't look good for our states deer herd.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Maybe peninsula wide rules could work but it would have little support. I seriously doubt that very many would be in favor of eradicating deer in the entire LP to keep it from spreading to the UP since that is the only disease ridden peninsula in Michigan.

·
Administrator
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe peninsula wide rules could work but it would have little support. I seriously doubt that very many would be in favor of eradicating deer in the entire LP to keep it from spreading to the UP since that is the only disease ridden peninsula in Michigan.
Who said anything about eradicating the deer in the entire LP???
<----<<<

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Lets quit the games and call it like we see it. This thread is nothing more than an agenda driven primer for future "proposals". And no, Joe, I'm not necessarily directing this at you.

·
Administrator
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets quit the games and call it like we see it. This thread is nothing more than an agenda driven primer for future "proposals". And no, Joe, I'm not necessarily directing this at you.
The only agenda item I am concerned with are potential answers to the question - "How do we leave our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren a huntable resource so they can share the passion that we all enjoy"? I have always tried to consider the consequences of my hunting decisions, and have always attempted to make choices accordingly.
Lets face it CWD will NOT impact OUR hunting beyond some useless attempts at eradication and gross herd reductions in areas around the core. However, wrong management choices today could very well have a substantial impact on future generations throughout Michigan.
<----<<<

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
The same way those before us did. By making rational management decisions and sharing our passion of the outdoors with the younger generation....By realizing and teaching that hunting isn't an entitlement, and sometimes you need to make tough decisions needed to not only protect hunting but, more importantly, the resource itself.

CWD should absolutely affect hunting in the core area....Now, not later. This idea that we currently need to even entertain a statewide solution or change is simply agenda driven by a few, and irrational. They're showing us that they can't even do what's needed on a micro level, let alone expanding that out on a macro level.

You don't make these rational decisions related to deer policy by applying a regulation change in a completely unrelated area of this state. Doing so would make about as much sense as making a deer hunting policy change in SW Michigan or the NW UP for fear of tB spread from NE Michigan. You focus on policy change where the disease is present, at least currently, then make changes as necessary. And, for God's sake, start killing more than 2-3 deer per day in the core. What a joke.

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
<----<<<

It certainly should be looked at since the SLP is now caught in the middle of the diseases spread.
My guess is the determining factor will be the what effect any changes will have on Russ Masons revenue stream.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Deer hunting has changed forever in the CWD zone now that it is not an isolated case. Unlimited antlerless tags in the CWD zone is already a reality. The DNR could open up deer season today if they choose, it's part of the CWD plan that is approved.

I want to see it isolated to this area via eradication of all the deer in the zone. If it spreads into purely recreational land in surrounding area it will have major impacts on land values. I know I'm not alone in saying I would not purchase a piece of land that is contaminated with mutated prions.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Deer hunting has changed forever in the CWD zone now that it is not an isolated case. Unlimited antlerless tags in the CWD zone is already a reality. The DNR could open up deer season today if they choose, it's part of the CWD plan that is approved.

I want to see it isolated to this area via eradication of all the deer in the zone. If it spreads into purely recreational land in surrounding area it will have major impacts on land values. I know I'm not alone in saying I would not purchase a piece of land that is contaminated with mutated prions.
You do realize the first deer was found in a neighborhood right? The second deer was found less than a mile or so so I'm not sure of the landscape difference between the two but I'm assuming it's not much different. There's probably not a lot of hunting in this semi surburbia area. So I'm not getting your "hunting has changed forever" thought if there wasn't a lot of hunting to begin with.... Yes if it spreads out its a whole different story. Your dead on with the second part of your post...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts