Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could buy a pencil plug holder that will keep my plugs "tight" in there respected spot. Right now I have the clear plastic case's but there is too much slop. My plugs are getting beat up :mad: from bouncing around. I have checked out Bass Pro & Cabelas web site and have not been able to find them. What are you guy's using??
ehill

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Yep, I would use the tackle mate they have the 8" box on sale on-line @ Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood for 39.99 and than 7.99 for shipping. You might as well buy some plugs also because they have alot that we can't get down here and your already paying for shipping...

· Registered
33 Posts
Big Daddy Benelli said:
Yep, I would use the tackle mate they have the 8" box on sale on-line @ Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood for 39.99 and than 7.99 for shipping. You might as well buy some plugs also because they have alot that we can't get down here and your already paying for shipping...
Like I need another excuse to buy more plugs :lol: .
Thanks,
ehill

· Registered
11,763 Posts
I don't recommend a box that hangs pencil plugs vertically. My experience has been that the plugs will swing and move around enough that the hooks will start to tangle. Something to keep in mind before making that order for a new tackle box.

Pencil plug boxes are designed to hold the plug horizontally and to keep all the hooks from contacting the hooks on another plug in the box.

Ideas from a Plexiglas pencil plug box:

and

· Registered
1,575 Posts

· Registered
1,972 Posts
alex-v said:
I don't recommend a box that hangs pencil plugs vertically. My experience has been that the plugs will swing and move around enough that the hooks will start to tangle. Something to keep in mind before making that order for a new tackle box.

Pencil plug boxes are designed to hold the plug horizontally and to keep all the hooks from contacting the hooks on another plug in the box.

and

Alex are these boxes sold anywhere that you are aware of? Thanks

· Registered
2,117 Posts
I made my own, a little different from Alex's. I uses all 5/32 lexan and c-channel alluminum that I riveted in place rather than slotting the thicker lexan. You can pick up "scrape" peices of lexan or rhino board from a place like AIN Plastics pretty cheap compared to the price of say a 4x8 sheet.
I keep saying I'm going to post a photo, guess I better get to it.
Mark if your going to make one stop by and I'll show you what I did for mine.

· Registered
3,231 Posts
I just bought a handmade wood box like the one Alex posted from a buddy for $50 with 46 plugs in it that look like brand new. :woohoo1: They belogned to his uncle and he doesn't handline. He gave me a great deal on it. Gotta love friends like that. Same guy got me an A&S reel for $25. Some guys just have the touch to find deals like that. Lucky for me, he passes them on to me.

Best bet is to watch the garage sales and the flea market. Find a jewel every once in a while.

· Registered
11,763 Posts
motcityman said:
Does any body know who makes these boxs..if not maybe I should start..
There is a guy in the Walleye Association who makes them and will bring a few down every now and then. He will make up a few and bring them just about anytime if he knows people are ready to buy. The boxes run about $70 each and are all Plexiglas except for the carrying handle.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
EHILL the tacklemates are the only way to go in my opinion, I have a plexiglass box and they do occasionally get stress crack also.. The baits hang vertically, but are on a card and tangles are NOT A ISSUE....You can just flip each card that holds 8 plug and search for the lucky one alot easier than my plexiglass box.. Plus the tacklemates don't take up as much room...

alex-v said:

and

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Daddy Benelli said:
EHILL the tacklemates are the only way to go in my opinion, I have a plexiglass box and they do occasionally get stress crack also.. The baits hang vertically, but are on a card and tangles are NOT A ISSUE....You can just flip each card that holds 8 plug and search for the lucky one alot easier than my plexiglass box.. Plus the tacklemates don't take up as much room...
As always I received great information from everyone and I thank you all for that. I did see the one on e-bay. I will be shopping around this weekend and find something. I do like the tacklemates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.