Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday I saw 5 pelicans sitting on a sand bar by the mouth of the saginaw river. I did not have camera with me so did not document them. they were large all white birds with orange beaks and legs. I had heard of pelicans out there before but this is a first for me. If they are still around I will try and get pictures and post them.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
In early June, while hosting the MOWA meeting on Beaver Island, a group of us saw HUNDREDS of white pelicans circling in the air above the island. They were VERY high, probably 250-300 feet up, and it took a while to see those beaks which differentiate them from common sea gulls...very cool to see.

Hate to say it, but the fishermen thought they had problems with cormorants, just wait till the populations of white pelicans really get going again, and from what I saw in June, they're getting there.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
They have been here for years. Wisconsin has a lot of them also. I hear they came in with the Cormorants back years ago.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hate to say it, but the fishermen thought they had problems with cormorants, just wait till the populations of white pelicans really get going again, and from what I saw in June, they're getting there.
I wouldn't crucify them just yet - they're mostly high-plains and northern Great Plains breeders. Breeding Bird Survey (http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/specl07.html) doesn't have any data on them for Michigan, those that are seen are probably transients - they do seem to get around quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
I see pelicans all the time, oh wait, I live in Florida so I should.:dizzy:

I remember going to an anniversary party a couple of days before we left Michigan, and there a few flying around the Frankfort area. Seems like people are seeing more often up there now.

·
Banned
989 Posts
10 years ago I hired a guide in Sanibel Island.

The day was cloudy and windy. The guide was willing to cancel but we decided to tough it out in a few secluded bays where the wind wouldn't be so bad.

We tried flies, lures and finally resorted to fishing with live pilchards.

The problem was because of the wind, there were hundreds of white and brown pelicans in the bay. As soon as they realized we were fishing with live bait, they started to dive after our bait. The white ones could only get it on the surface but the brown ones were able to dive quite deep. I ended up hooking more pelicans than fish that day. I wish I had taken a picture of the guide holding down a stupid pelican while he took the hook out o the dumb bird's bill.

Of course, as son as we chucked another pilchard in, the same birds that were getting hooked kept trying to grab our bait.:lol: We caught only a few small grouper and sea trout but at least 3 pelicans.:dizzy:

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Went through the same thing off Fort Myers about three years ago. I felt sorry for our guide, he has to try to live with them. I like pelicans, but I can understand both sides of the story, and when it comes to eating fish, folks, pelicans have it all over cormorants.

I think we need to try to live with all of it, somehow. We can't just shoot the things that also like to fish for the same things we do...and I don't think that we can solely blame things like the cormorants for the lack of fish in some areas. We need to look at a lot of things. The problem is, there's little to be done about most of those other things, so the cormorants, and someday, probably, the pelicans, take the brunt of our fury.

The problem really lies with people, our appetites and our debris, but we obviously can't manage that, so we blame it on other wildlife.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know anything about pelicans other than I spotted a couple on the bay. I do know that cormorants are all over the bay and they eat alot of fish. They should be easy to control and would be one factor that can be removed in a complicated equation of why the perch are down in the bay. In areas where they are being being controlled in upper mi perch populations are rebounding. lets get rid of them. if it doesn't help the perch in the bay we can always let them come back. I know of alot of people that would volunteer for long term control methods. It would not cost the state a dime. Just get us permission from the feds.:rant:

·
Registered
26 Posts
yesterday I saw 5 pelicans sitting on a sand bar by the mouth of the saginaw river. I did not have camera with me so did not document them. they were large all white birds with orange beaks and legs. I had heard of pelicans out there before but this is a first for me. If they are still around I will try and get pictures and post them.

Wharf rats!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts