Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't used a PC in the house in a while and went to update the McAfee Virus Scan download. All seemed to go well, it said the download was complete. I went to restart and it got "hung up" with nothing happening, so I hit the off button. Now when I restart the screen look like it's on safe mode and my mouse cursor is not there? Any ideas on what's up here and how to fix it?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Can't really say how to fix it but after 2 years of nothing but trouble with McAfee and having my machine infected even with McAfee running all the time I totally removed McAfee and went with AVG. AVG is a FREE download and cost nothing and as soon as I downloaded it it ran the initial scan and picked up the two infections my machine had that McAfee never picked up on....

Just type in AVG virus to google and then download the free virus protection, thats my tip. Everybody I know is using it....

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,182 Posts
Can't really say how to fix it but after 2 years of nothing but trouble with McAfee and having my machine infected even with McAfee running all the time I totally removed McAfee and went with AVG. AVG is a FREE download and cost nothing and as soon as I downloaded it it ran the initial scan and picked up the two infections my machine had that McAfee never picked up on....

Just type in AVG virus to google and then download the free virus protection, thats my tip. Everybody I know is using it....
Hey thanks! I just had my free McAfee subscription that came with the PC run out on me. Always had Norton before and liked that. Do not care for McAfee at all. But this free thing looks worth a shot. I feel pretty well protected with AOL but this would be a nice addition, the price is right!

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Hey thanks! I just had my free McAfee subscription that came with the PC run out on me. Always had Norton before and liked that. Do not care for McAfee at all. But this free thing looks worth a shot. I feel pretty well protected with AOL but this would be a nice addition, the price is right!
Yep the price is right. Robert (SFWGoofy1960:lol:) turned me onto it, guess he's been using it for quite a while.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm using AVG Free on vista & XP---couldn't be happier.
Have also used it w/other computers w/win.98 & never had a problem.
Also run adaware & Ccleaner to keep ALL the bugs away !
Can't beat the $$$$.,, Great download IMO....Mark

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd try booting to advanced startup, keep pressing F8 when you restart, and selecting "last known good configuration". If that don't work then I'd boot into safe mode and use "system restore" to restore to an earlier time prior to you downloading the Mcaffee stuff.

AVG is OK but it does let bugs thru, lots of adware and spyware type stuff.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

Been using AVG for years with great success. Make sure you let the updates go thru.
Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts