Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to reply about the state land hunting. It is true that it belongs to all of us, but it would be nice if we could use some "COMMON SENSE" and "COURTESY"! My husband and I have been scouting our state land since September, and we found our spots for our treestands in a place we have enjoyed for 4 years. No! We do not own the land, but expect a little courtesy. Nothing more than we would, and have offered all hunters. We have hunted everyday, and yesterday a bunch of guys came in with 2 campers to set up, loud laughing talking etc, huge fire going, and parked it practically on our runs! No more than 70 yards from his stand. We have to practically step over them to get to our truck! Now I do realize that these things happen, but why on earth would people do that. I do not believe that a true hunter would be that rude because my husband came across many a blind and tree stand in our search for a good spot. He did not say "Oh this must be good hunting here" He said "We better move along, as these people do not need their spot ruined after their hard work." A true hunter to me is someone that shows that courtesy because he knows all of the preparation that goes into harvesting a deer. The other's are just "good time weekend charlies" out to have a good time for the weekend at everyone's cost! In order to have a chance now, we have to move both of our blinds this late in the season! While these bums party and enjoy theirselves! Please let me know what you think.
Thank you

·
Registered
144 Posts
They probably had no idea your stands were there. If they did see the stands maybe they don't know it will bother the deer. They may be uneducated and be used to seeing deer run across the road and think that their partying my not bother them. You can always go over to them and have a friendly conversation and polietly ask them if they would move thier location.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Looks like this has been a valuable learning experience for you then: Put your stands farther than a mere 70 yards from the nearest road/parking location.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My husband chose that spot as I had an accident and now Im handicaped. The easy access is the only way I can continue to hunt. They stood by the extra large fire laughed, pointed, and made loud comments while I tried to hunt. My husband wanted to confront them, I said it was too dangerous as there are two large trailors and 9 or 10 men. They used chain saws to clear enough room for trailors as this is a grown over two track, not a seasonal road. Talked to DNR said they would look into it, that was a few days ago meantime my weeks of preparation and hunt are ruined!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune z-huntress.

People like that have "No Class".
For them to torment you after ruining your hunting spot is just plain wrong.
I sure hope the DNR finds that their campsite is illegal or something at the very least.

Better luck some other time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It is nice when you find a spot that you did have good hunting with. The same thing, in a way happened to my son and I this summer we were camping on the fair gropunds for the county fair and I reserved a spot next to a 30 amp hook-up by the horse barns. Dropped the rv off wednesday and came back thursday morning. A harness racer had parked his horse trailer not three feet from the side of the rv. I had maybe a foot left to swing the door open! I left a note on their door ansking them to please move over three feet so we could enjoy our little spot with reasonable room. His answer was he would move after the race and because we didn't have an awnoing he didnt give us room:confused:
Yes there are some nice people in the world then there the ones who need to be sent to a third world country so they might gain some respect.:mad:

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Although they messed up the hunting right now, chances are if they were just there to party, they won't be back.

It never hurts to have back up spots when hunting State land just for this reason. Like it was posted, you have to go expecting other people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts