Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back from Fremont a little while ago in the middle of a two lane blacktop road was a momma and 6 little peeps. I mean they were tiny, smaller than a sparrow without the tail................they would not leave the road so I had to stop and block the road with my truck and usher them off the road............hopefully momma will be smart enough to keep them off the road.

Naturally no camera with me when I needed one. Heck I was only 10 feet or less from them when I herded them from the road, would have made a good picture.

Can't believe how tiny the little one's were..............real cool....

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya on the cool and wet. Can't help thinking about those little ones. Heck 2 or so hours ago I bet we got 2 inches of rain in a hour and a half. This was about 2 hours after I seen the little ones. Temps in the low 60s now..................

What really bugs me is that in the area I seen them I also see 3 or 4 different cats wandering the road edges.......:rant:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I seen a moma bird a 4 babies crossing a 2 track around 10 this morning cute little buggers.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man if all that rain the other day didn't stress them out then this morning's "FROST" should. Can't believe it, 0715 and theres frost on the roof of my garage. :yikes:

·
Banned
792 Posts
These hatchers should be fine, one downpour or cool night wont hurt, its the three days of rain and cold that will take a toll. I'm just wondering if the small numbers are because the hens were stressed by the early april weather. :mad:

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
everlast1 said:
.... I'm just wondering if the small numbers are because the hens were stressed by the early april weather. :mad:
I'm thinking the same thing. With all the woodcock banders reporting a lot of renests and late hatches I was drawing the same conclusions as you.
The latest RGS biologist email had a note saying that due to the budget constraints that many of the early season drumming counts surveys were done on a limited basis or not at all so we may not know how well the birds are doing until we actually hit the woods.

·
Banned
792 Posts
After spending most of may in northern Mi, I can tell you I heard many more birds in the U P than the past couple years and nowhere near as many as last year in the lower. Guess thats why I'm a grouse hunter, cant wait to see how this fall plays out. Congrats on the new pup by the way :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts