Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear of these going off unexpectedly? Happened to the old lady while she was loading a bolt. Really messed up her hand,bruising from mid forearm to the fingertips.Looks horrible!!! She just got back from Sprawlmart and talked to a couple shopping whose friend lost 4 fingers to the same make of crossbow. Is there a recall I didnt hear about???

·
Registered
967 Posts
I never heard of that. My kid's got one of those. The only complaint I have is that every screw comes loose every couple of shots. I'm going to have to loctight them all I guess.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I bought one for my daughter and have never had a problem. We shoot it quit a bit also. Only bad thing I have heard is some limbs braking when the have takin the shims out.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have one for my fiance and have had a bolt come loose, but other than that it has been a very good cross bow. She shot a doe last night with it and says its very easy to use. All the kids like shooting with it too. Easy to handle and quite accurate. I even got a deer with it last year. No complaints here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did shoot pretty good,she had nice tight groups out to 45yds, with shooting sticks. Only issue before this happened was scope mount worked loose. Now I fear that when we get it back from Parker she will be afraid of it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Handling a crossbow is like handling a beartrap... Don't put your fingers in the triangle of pain when they are cocked and you will be ok.

I always load mine by holding the arrow about 15 inches down the shaft from the nock end and push that last little bit by pushing down and back on the top of the shaft. I have seen to many times where people have been injured by these things, taking them to lightly. Look over on Archery Talk crossbow forums and you will see the kind of damage that can really happen if precautions are not taken. There are a couple of threads posted in the last week that will make your hindend pucker. Just remember these when shooting and you will be fine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While she did have her hand near the danger zone,this was a "scrape" by the string. The safety pops on when its cocked,was on,her hand was not on the trigger and the bolt had not yet touched the "bolt retention clip/anti-dryfire" mechanism. Meaning that all safety features apparently failed. A crossbow that will fire at anytime without touching the safety or trigger is obviously very dangerous. Parker will have it in their hands Tues. will post their findings as soon as I have them.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
While she did have her hand near the danger zone,this was a "scrape" by the string. The safety pops on when its cocked,was on,her hand was not on the trigger and the bolt had not yet touched the "bolt retention clip/anti-dryfire" mechanism. Meaning that all safety features apparently failed. A crossbow that will fire at anytime without touching the safety or trigger is obviously very dangerous. Parker will have it in their hands Tues. will post their findings as soon as I have them.
I will be interested to see what they find.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own several Parkers for myself and my grandson. Please post results as soon as possible. I have never had any problems with either of my Parkers ( Enforcer and Cyclone) and really like the bows, Thanks

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I bought mine this summer, have been shooting it nearly every week
or every other week and never had any issues.
Did check all bolts to make sure they were tight as was instructed
by the dealer - but he tells that to anyone buying a x-bow.
Am just hoping that its a one-time thing and from what I've heard
Parker customer service has really high marks.
As others have said, need to use extreme caution with these things.
Although they seem simple in nature they can have serious outcomes.
Glad all she's got is some bruising cause yes, those stories and videos
can really change your mind about hunting with one of these

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got x-bow back from Parker along with packing slip that read"UNSURE VISIBLY WHAT SERVICE IS NEEDED ON PRODUCT. INSPECT,REPAIR/REPLACE AS NEEDED AND RETURN SHIP." I wanted to know exactly what was done so I called C.S. After talking to REP. I was told the trigger assembly was inspected, met "specs" and was reinstalled. The frontend "assembly"was replaced. ASSEMBLY meaning new limbs, string,and cams. HMMMM OK. Awfully nice of them to put the same amount of string wear on it. Replace two different sets of limbsaver silencers exactly where I had them and repaint my custom camo job on the cams and "risers"??? for me. Its going back to Parker for another try!!!!:rant::rant::rant: Im HOPING to have it back in time for her to at least be able to hunt one wknd before gun season starts and we leave the woods till next year!!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sorry to hear of this happening, and hope she recovers quickly.

Probable cause was it was not cocked FULLY. If these bows are cocked just far enough to engage the Anti Dry Fire, it will hold the string, but the latch and sear will not be fully engaged. Then when you load an arrow, it can trip the ADF and the latch will no longer hold the string because it was never fully engaged with the sear.

Cock all crossbows fully, until your string reaches the back of the latch box opening. If you only cock until you hear a click, it may just be the ADF, and not the latch and sear engaging.

Cock 'em like you mean it! Don't stop until it stops you. Listening for just a click will get you in trouble.

Good luck, and I hope she never has to experience that again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one for the kids but haven't heard of that specific problem. I did a lot of looking around online and saw all the broken limb posts from last year. I called Parker and they assured me they completely re-did the limbs and haven't had any of the new style back.
We had the same problem with every screw coming loose also. If you take one out and look at it you'll see they placed yellow locktite about midway on the screw threads. None of the screws engage the threads halfway up so the locktite did nothing. Something cracked on my trigger assembly when on of the bolts loosened up so I sent it back. They replaced trigger assembly and said they are aware of and fixed the issue with the placement of the locktite.
Service was good other than it was prime bow season so it took a little prodding to get it moving as fast as they originally said they would.

Glad she's ok and I'm interested to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys...FYI.....as we speak waiting on entire trigger and scope rail assembly from Parker. Last year bought tiffany special pink for the wife. Design is awesome for small framed hunters for sure. Zeroed it out to 50 with 8 shots. Extremely accurate. Went to Marlette last day of season and the woman shot a nice buck in no mans land over the lungs at 21 yards. She is 14 shots for 14 deer so I immediately questioned the equipment. I shoot it back at the house..bullseye:confused: I shoot again and miss a 4x4 block target????????? ***? Grab the scope and it rocks up and down 1/2 inch. Damn accurate till it moves! So I remove the Phillips head from the front of the trigger guard and the wobbly 3/32 allen from in back, which threads into a nut that is held in place by a cheesy thin molded plastic.....which I find is busted into two pieces. Terrible design flaw which holds an extremely important bolt. Also had almost zero of the special yellow elmers glue they call loktite on the threads. If it actually was working the nut would have still been attached to the bolt right?? So I get the busy signal from Parker and told to leave a message for a day and finally get the Michigan rep on the line. He sets me up for a new rig at The Archery Spot in Camden and I beat feet down there. The owner is a jerk and the second he found out I didn't buy it there he got worse. He had NEVER seen this before and wondered what I had done to cause it..like a csi cop. The rep had already called him and he was not happy to help me. I bought more bolts as had lost a few due to the scope movement but he remained a tool. I would whittle a cattail shoot for an arrow before I ever stepped foot in there again. By the way his bolts were 1/2 inch longer as Parker changed up to new company. Back to the circus story...so get the new bow home and it sits til this season as the wife is still bitter about wounding the buck and does not want to look at the xbow. Remount the scope and start shooting bulls in 3 shots. Out to 50 in a baseball...very accurate. With her faith renewed she suits up and I have her take 1 shot before heading to the stand like we always do because you never know. Guess what....misses the boss buck high by a foot at 20 yards!!!!! I already know what it is so I grab the scope and the SOB moves 1/2 inch.$#@#... would love to describe the look on her face. I guess the genious at Archery Spot had only sold one that was made on a Monday. Rip it apart, same damn problem......I was disgusted. This was Fri. nite of course and didn't get Parker til Monday. Got the best service guy you could , Lance, he knew of the problem and said they were addressing it with new trigger assemblies which should be here today. What do you do? I bought Parker because it is made in USA. I would have expected this from a Chinese Carbon Express. Her confidence is shot and it will be for sale if it so much as burps in the woods. So if your looking at a Challenger make sure you get a brand new model. If you own an old one be warned. I'm not sure that the lok tite is the problem as much as possibly the shock and recoil that is absorbed into that ABS plastic that holds the nut. Never did think metal in plastic was to dependable. Either way it is a Mickey Mouse design. I will still be removing the two bolts and putting a different color thread lok on mine when it comes you can bet on that. Last chance Parker. Hope this helps someone before it turns into a real hassel for ya. Spend your money at a shop that appreciates your business. I switched to The Gun Rack outside of Coldwater..awesome place great guys. Hope you all shoot some meat.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought mine at Franks but took it to JTs Archery in ST.Johns. Good guy,called me today cuz Parker sent him a whole new xbow to replace the mistake they made earlier. I hope I dont have the same loose bolts and breaks you guys do. Funny thing happened yesterday. That xbow that came back "repaired" I took a look at it in the livingroom before calling CS for answers then put it aside to be shipped back. After it went back I found a allen head bolt lying on the floor. 1" long, maybe a size 10,with my camo paint on the head and some unmarred "glue" on threads. Really wondering about this purchase !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought this x-bow for my daughter, had the archery shop remove the shims and after about 30 shots one of the limbs cracked. My daughter wanted nothing to do with this bow. Took back and got a full refund. Sounds like this little bow has lots of problems.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think the problem are when the shims are pulled out. I left mine in and it's fine but I asked the shop about the cracked limbs and he said all the ones that have came in with problems have pulled the shims out. It is an awesome bow for my daughter!

·
Registered
553 Posts
That sucks. I really wanted to get this bow for my son he is shooting a jackal and I wanted to upgrade before Xmas. He wants an sls. But I'm worried about the weight. I don't care about the whole china vs. U.S. thing and I believe with china no longer buying our debt their quality issues are a thing of the past. People will still pay more money for inferior product because it was made in USA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts