Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pointers for you canoe fishermen to help you have a better day on the lake (I tried these personally on my last fishing trip to Sand Lake!):

1. Select a lake you've never been to before. Pick one that is as close to circular as possible and ringed with cottages so all parts of the shoreline look virtually identical from the center of the lake.

2. Blissfully launch your canoe, paying no attention to which side of the lake the launch is located on.

3. Decide that the center of the lake has the best weeds/structure and make a beeline for it, using your electric trolling motor to save time.

4. Anchor and fish, letting the soft breeze gently turn your canoe around in various directions.

5. Pay no attention to the motion of the canoe relative to the shoreline.

6. Make sure you do not have any form of navigation lights or even a flashlight.

7. Fish until sunset.

8. Decide that you need some exercise; remove your electric motor and paddle back to shore.

9. Upon reaching the shore at near-dark, realize that the shoreline doesn't look like it did when you left it.

10. Paddle along the shoreline in total darkness looking for the boat launch.

11. Start to worry a little.

12. Notice the position of the North Star.

13. Have a vague recollection about where the sun was setting as you were initially leaving the launch.

14. Realize that you're on the complete opposite shore from the launch.

15. Re-attach the electric motor; travel across the center of the lake in total darkness (tell yourself it's a stealth mission). Make sure the battery is just about dead before you get to shore.

16. Locate the launch by spotting a set of tail lights backing toward the water and tell yourself that it must be the launch because you've never seen a cottage with a driveway that goes all the way to the water.

17. Enjoy!

Yep, gotta give myself the Golden Bozo Award for that one!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thats why I drop bread crumbs over the side as I make my way across the lake. :D

Rupe

·
Super Moderator
37,502 Posts
Priceless. :) Thanks, I needed the laugh.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Every April and October I would go to Copper harbor and the porkies. One spring I rented a canoe from the laughing loon in copper harbor and went out to porter island. There was still snow and the wind was cold but on the lake side of the island the wind was calm so i built a fire on top of the rocks and jjust sat out there for 6 hours enjoying the view. The sunset was nice and when i figured it was time to head back i went around to the shore side of the island and the wind was howling! I barely made it back to shore. I was blown into the rocks between the islands. if those rocks weren't there I would of ended up in Thunder bay ontario. :eek: :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts