Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out icefishing this morning I heard an interesting (friendly) debate among several anglers. While everybody knows the daily limit on panfish is 25, the debate was about possession. As in how many you can legally have in your freezer. One guy was saying the 25 daily and possession (in your freezer) are one and the same. So in effect if you were to get a limit (which nobody was in danger of LOL) you are done fishing until those fish are consumed? Another said it was 50 in possession. Others said there is just the daily limit and no possession/freezer limit on panfish. All I could find in the DNR regs is the 25 daily limit. I don't fish much so I never really thought about this "grey" area. Thoughts...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Possession Limit: In addition to 1 day’s daily possession limit of fish, a person may possess an
additional 2 daily possession limits of fish taken

page 9 2016-2017 Michigan fishing guide
sorry it continued...

during previous fishing days provided that the additional limits of fish are processed (canned, cured by smoking or drying, or frozen).

·
41,295 Posts
Love these questions... not to be a jerk but probably should check into it before fishing...

For simplicity, you may have 2 daily limits "processed" (canned, smoked/dried, frozen), plus your daily limit, in possession. You may, at any point, have up to 75 panfish in possession, but only 25 per day.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love these questions... not to be a jerk but probably should check into it before fishing
I apologize for asking a simple regs question on MS. I've been on here long enough to know better LOL. I love it when someone starts a response with " not to be a jerk". Always comes off as just the opposite. Post #2 covered it for me. Thanks for repeating it verbatim though.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I apologize for asking a simple regs question on MS. I've been on here long enough to know better LOL. I love it when someone starts a response with " not to be a jerk". Always comes off as just the opposite. Post #2 covered it for me. Thanks for repeating it verbatim though.
That’s funny, it’s like when you say “no offense” before making a statement. I’m getting old enough that I really don’t care and value honesty. Sometimes I follow up “no offense” with “I’m about to offend the hell out of you.”

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s funny, it’s like when you say “no offense” before making a statement. I’m getting old enough that I really don’t care and value honesty. Sometimes I follow up “no offense” with “I’m about to offend the hell out of you.”
LOL, yeah I've probably been guilty of the "no offense" line myself. That's just the nature of an online forum I guess. Written words don't always come out like you are thinking. But most of the time you can read right through a post.

·
41,295 Posts
Take it how you want. No skin off my back.

It's just strange. 3 guy discussing possession limits and none are correct. Think I'm being a jerk...wonder what a CO would say if you actually had more than allowable fish. I suspect that isn't a problem though.

Trout fishing regs... Those questions get a pass lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
thats the same person that says "look, and listen" when youre talking to them that always makes me pause

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's just strange. 3 guy discussing possession limits and none are correct. Think I'm being a jerk...wonder what a CO would say if you actually had more than allowable fish. I suspect that isn't a problem though.
No not a problem for me. Like I said in the OP, I don't fish all that often. It was an overheard conversation among several fisherman. I suspect it is a problem for most guys that ice fish day in day out. 50 gills in the freezer doesn't seem like too hard a task. Bet most wouldn't want their freezer checked. But honestly, to me, for panfish, a possession limit doesn't seem like it would be necessary or at least is a little low given how prolific they are and prone to stunting. But the regs are there for a reason. JMO. BTW I don't think you are a jerk.;)

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
My stock answer for this is.

If you have LEO's going through your freezer you have much bigger problems than too many fish in your possession.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
It would be nice to have fish in the freezer. My oldest son wants fish all the time and his younger brother follows him. I am not a good enough ice fisherman to keep up.

·
41,295 Posts
BTW I don't think you are a jerk.;)
don't assume! Lol

I found out after getting all my gear ready that I wouldn't be able to fish today. Guess maybe I was "on the wrong side of the bed".

I think the possession limit thing is just a blanket statement for all fish species. Going further than that just muddies the waters. I agree some lakes need higher limits. But also some others could benefit from lower limits. Start down that path and you probably get into trout regs territory.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
All I know is I will have a lot of explaining to do if a CO goes through my freezer.

Reactions: Dish7

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't Canada extremely liberal with bluegill regs? I totally get limits on most any fish. But it just seems like gills could live in a mud puddle if it didn't freeze out. I could be wrong, but I can't name a single lake that does doesn't have them. Not the case with more specialized species like walleye, musky and even pike. Oh and obviously trout. Like I said the regs are there for a reason and it's above my pay grade LOL. Just spitballin.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Practically speaking the possession limit is what is in your possession while in the field.

Once you get home it becomes pretty much unenforceable any other way, think about it a bit.

·
41,295 Posts
Practically speaking the possession limit is what is in your possession while in the field.

Once you get home it becomes pretty much unenforceable any other way, think about it a bit.
You mean say they're someone else's?

I've heard of it being enforced but it was a slightly different situation. Guys on a trip for a few days told an officer they had limited out the previous days. Apparently they hadn't eaten enough.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts