Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 21 ft sea ray that I would like to paint. Has anyone done this? Any tips, tricks, do's, or donts? Is it better to pay to have this done? I have some expierience with painting cars. I imagine you roll or brush boats though? Any info or literature anyone could point me to would be much apprieciated.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
I would imagine if you could afford to have it done by a pro that would be the best but if your on a budget I would say do it yourself if you dont care if you make a mistake ot two.. When I first start dating my wife she had a old 70 Monte Carlo that she painted red with a paint brush and it actually look good, you could not tell she had done it with a paint brush untill you got up close to it.. It did not have the shine like a clear coat would but that car looked great so anything is possible and it could save you some money in the long run.. I say figure out how to prep the surface properly then rollar or paint brush it good luck.. Cya Slick

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Some time ago I saw a DIY boating program that showed painting fiberglass with Sterling Boat paint, about $500/gallon, but it was applied with a roller, and then you use a brush to even it out and lap the paint. Supposed to have filled in smaller cracks in the fiberglass to give a nice look and finish, helped by the brush strokes. Unfortunately I cannot locate Sterling Boat paint anywhere...

·
Registered
892 Posts
we bought a used canoe this summer and spraypainted it... quite artistic i might add. i know... kinda ghetto... but hey, it's just going in the water anyway! :)

yeah, that was no help, sorry.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I had my aluminum 22 ft. boat painted by a friend who worked at a bump/paint shop.....we used..IMRON..paint....this paint is extremely dangerous.in terms of toxicity...it's a two part system..and requires good ventilation.and you must use a respirator..........but.......Imron is also used to paint...Aircraft...and is an extremely durable paint....if you want to get a job done well...gotta go to the experts...you won't be disappointed...:)

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Will check with my boat guy tomorrow for a quote, if you are interested. He does a fine job, made my old 70s Sylvan look good as new...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Actually the guy whos working on my boat now does a lot of fibergalss and paint for INS work.. it's all sprayed.

Call Allen @ Bontrager Fiberglass Specialties in White Pigeon Mi. and I'm sure he would give a few pointers. He's a hell of a guy. OR,, try

http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=26

Heres a thread from that very topic:

http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=004257

different people do it different ways I guess but if you send a thread their way they will give you the best answer. There are some really experienced guys giving advice on this site. Most have several complete restores under their belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts