Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that paint your own jigs up...where do you buy the paint? What's it called and how much does it cost? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I use powder coat. You just heat them up over an open flame and then dip them in the powder. You can cure them in the oven after for a super hard finish. And as Houghtonlaker reminded me, be sure to put down some aluminum foil in the oven b4 you cure them. :lol:

Around here, you can buy the powders at Gander Mountain.

I colored the eyes with a paint marker and a sharpie after.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
OH YEA don't forget the foil I have a new $1000 stove because she said she could smell it every time she used the oven ,, I am in the cheaper to keeper mode..I got a yard sale toaster oven works real good

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used to powder coat until I tried this, buy luminiscent (glo) jigs then use Sharpie permanent markers to color them. I usually multi color them then get creative with the eyes and even teeth, just for my amusement. Then put clear epoxy on them. If the color is light enough it will still glo through the color, its pretty cool. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Powder coat is deffinatly the way to go for jigs. It will take a while to get the curing temp and time right to get the rock hard finish. Here is a test you can do. After you cure the jig in the oven, place it on a brick wall and hit it with a rock. If it chips you need some more practice.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Hey Ken (Ninja), do you carry the assortment pack in the powder coats? If so, what's the ticket? And what colors are included? Also, do you carry jigs in 3/4 oz? Price?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
i do the powder coat thing too... remember, a thinner coat the better, as when it bakes it will liquify some more, smooth out, and drip any excess off (hence the foil, I learned that here before doing any powder coating, saved me an oven).

·
Registered
721 Posts
One other learned from experience powder paint tip.

PUNCH OUT THE HOOK EYES BEFORE YOU CURE THEM!!!!

If you don't, you're in for some major frustration, might as well break out the drill, hammer, awl, brass punch, hatchet, jack hammer, TNT if you cure the paint into the eye of the hook.

·
Registered
555 Posts
1fish One other learned from experience powder paint tip.

PUNCH OUT THE HOOK EYES BEFORE YOU CURE THEM!!!!

If you don't, you're in for some major frustration, might as well break out the drill, hammer, awl, brass punch, hatchet, jack hammer, TNT if you cure the paint into the eye of the hook.
Today 07:09 AM
I learned that the hard way, lol:lol:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
kbkrause said:
You can cure them in the oven after for a super hard finish. And as Houghtonlaker reminded me, be sure to put down some aluminum foil in the oven b4 you cure them. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :yikes: :bash:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it is called a fluid base, where you infuse air into your powder they say your paint is like liquid, you use less and you dont plug your eye shut, either. I did some research on how to build one because they are quite pricey. Take a small section of 3 inch pvc about 3 or 4 inch piece. Glue a pvc coupler to a board install a small nipple in the side of the coupler and attach a small aquarium aerator. Sand down one end of the pvc and place a coffe filter around the bottom of pvc and insert into coupler. Pour paint into filter and turn on aerator, they say yur powder will have a slow boil . I am going to build one soon and will let you know. I would think you could build it for around $20 which is a whole lot cheaper than the $149 I saw in a catalog.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Michihunter said:
Hey Ken (Ninja), do you carry the assortment pack in the powder coats? If so, what's the ticket? And what colors are included? Also, do you carry jigs in 3/4 oz? Price?
No....single colors only....$4.99 each.

I do have plenty of bulk jigs.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
ken, thats a good price (better than a big box store near me), especially if you don't have to drive far to get to ya. eventually i'm going to make it your way as the only colors i can find local are white and glow green (would like to get blue, chartreuse, and maybe brown also).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts