Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Church Sunday Morning (AKA Paint Creek).....
[/IMG]

Caught nothing. Seen lots of suckers, spooked many fish (I hope some were trout).

As some of yopu know, I moved lots of LWD (Large Woody Debris) into the protion of the stream that runs through my backyard. Believe it or not, I went out there tonight and saw a trout (one) rising near one of my logs! it was a small one, but hey, it's a start.

Now I am preparing myself for the annual kick in the nuts disappointment when they raise the dam in Lake Orion and the stream disappears, probably sometime in the next week or so...

·
Administrator
35,722 Posts
Yeah later on in the summer it's almost becoming a dry gulch out there. It's too bad, I've had so much fun out there over the years. It also doesn't help things when there are lots of pumps sucking water out to irrigate large lawns on the creek.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
And lots of backyards cut golf-fairway-short, right up to the crik, with monthly Chem-lawn treatments washing into it.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, if the river was maintained like the jewel it is. Imagine... Unparalled access points, always cold water...

My top suggestions to make the creek what it once was...

1) Regulated dam level from lake orion to ensure adequate flow. Perhaps a comnpromise struck with the lake homeowners association.

2) No fertilizers or pumps in backyards. Legislation to make it illegal to withdraw water from this stream.

3) Heightened stocking including brookies.

4) AGGRESSIVE bank restorations with lots of large woody debris!

A guy can dream can't he?

What kind of jerk moves on to a beautiful stream like that then installs a pump and fertilizes the crap out of his grass?

I live on the stream (not in moneyville) and all I do is aerate my lawn every year and let mother nature take care of the rest. Who fricking cares about how green your grass is?

Do they know how rare it is to have a coldwater trout stream in an urban area??

OK, I am done!

·
Registered
279 Posts
back2spool said:
Do they know how rare it is to have a coldwater trout stream in an urban area??
I was out on Saturday, and I've never seen the creek north of the park in Rochester. Wow. As I passed by house after house where these folks live right on the creek, all I could think is that they don't realize how lucky they are.

I actually saw bugs coming up off the stream, and heard fish come up to eat twice! I'm behind you 100% on your statements...

Here's a shot from Saturday:

·
Banned
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Live on Paint Creek.

Have fished at least 24 hours cumulative on the thing.

Caught my first PC Trout today!!!

Three of 'em!

Bugs coming off like crazy. Anyone have an idea what they might be? Hendrickson's?

Anyway, they were tiny planters, but I was excited nonetheless. The river paid me back for all those hours.

Too bad the creek will have no water in a week :(

·
Administrator
35,722 Posts
I agree with the statements about drawing water from the creek for lawn irrigation. It was there 10 years ago, I'm sure it's much worse a problem now.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Interesting, I grew up fishing for trout and sunnys there as a kid. And I guess I never noticed the pumps before. I think thats a shame. Does Trout Unlimited still have that stream as one of their "Project Streams"? They used to come in and take care of all the log jams and such. Many great memories in the 70's growing up living off Orion rd. just up from Livernois. Camping and exploring like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn........;)

Mushy

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
I enjoy going to stream-side services also.
"Wood is good" in a stream.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bugs coming off like crazy. Anyone have an idea what they might be? Hendrickson's?

Too bad the creek will have no water in a week :([/quote]

I have been fishing Paint creek for a few years now and the most common bug I have seen is caddis. There were some smaller flies coming off last week(midges?) and I was having luck with griffiths gnats by the logs. I prefer the black ants of midsummer.

What is the story with the lower water level in a few weeks?

·
Banned
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet tree said:
What is the story with the lower water level in a few weeks?
Thanks for the tips on the bugs, rarely have I seen risers in the creek.

The lower water level is when Lake Orion Lakefront Homeowners say, "Yup, about right there." And they raise the dam. Happens every year. I go to work in the morning and the stream looks good, I come home and the water is gone. . .

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
My buddy caught a 16" brown in there two weeks ago. If I could figure out how to get the pic off my phone, I would.

·
Registered
311 Posts
uptracker said:
My buddy caught a 16" brown in there two weeks ago. If I could figure out how to get the pic off my phone, I would.
See if you have an option of emailing the pic from your phone. Mail it to an internet mail account not another phone, or someone you know who has an account. You will then be able to grab it as a pic file like a jpeg or bmp or something.
Then you can upload it to this thread or your public picture folder.

Caught a 15 incher a few days ago right after a nasty hail storm. It was probably not the wisest thing to do especially with thunder and lightening going on. Used a 3wt with a tiny midge emerger on 6x tippet.
Landed a half a dozen in the 12 inch and less a week earlier right below a walking bridge. People were walking by asking me if there were fish in the stream. But man, the best part are the little kids with their wide open eyes crowding all around me asking if they could touch the trout.

It's a very special stream to say the least.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
If someone else wants to try it, I'll TM it to you. I have a yooper phone that does nothing that calls other numbers and TM's!:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
i finally made it to paint creek. i fished lake orion. caught a bunch of suckers, a rock bass:) and a lil brookie. i was kinda dissapointed i wanted to catch more trout:evil: . doe anyone else know of any other good access's??? i would like to catch more but its tricky with that river. i was using small mepps spinners and worms.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to understand that an afternoon in which you catch a brook trout in SE Michigan is a pretty good afternoon. Yes, you can catch more trout occasionally, but there is not one fishermen on here that catches trout every time they fish Paint Creek.

There are no sure-fire spots, just keep exploring and have fun and don't expect great numbers and big fish, cause it aint gonna happen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would consider catching a brookie out of Paint Creek a successful afternoon. i have fished there for several years and have yet to pull a brookie.

The upper stretches is pretty tight to throw spinners. I would fish more towards rochester.

·
Premium Member
14,953 Posts
Kgibby-
Dude you caught a brookie in the Paint!!! Ive fished the crik for decades, not years, but decades and NEVER caught a brookie. I dont remember ever seeing one being caught. So your one up on this fisherman.
The paint is one of the easyiest rivers anywhere to access. The old railroad
runs along almost the entire lenght!!! and most any side street off Rochester Rd. in Downtown will put you at a access site of some kind.
Really cant make it more plain than that!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts