Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explored a part of Paint Creek June 25 taking advantage of a very nice cool morning. I had never fished the upstream portion between Atwater Street Bridge and the children's park in downtown Lake Orion. Found some nice fishable areas with holes that should be holding fish and the water seemed cool (sorry no thermometer). I didn't catch or see one trout in that stetch but couldn't fish a dry fly or nymph without catching bluegill - some surprisingly reasonable size. It was a beautiful morning so I'm not complaining too much! Sometimes you have to cross off where they ain't to find where they are! :p

Any feedback on that stretch this year? Was I too far upstream for trout? My success with trout has been much closer to Rochester.

Guess we better get our fishing in now - some really hot days coming.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The whole creek has slowed down a bit with all these warm days and low water... I have been doing better in the lower stretches

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fished a stretch upstream about half way between Gunn Rd and the bridge to half way to the next access point yesterday. Took most of the day to cover that stretch. Even though it was a hot day it was cool because the stream was mostly shaded. The further upstream I went past the bridge the wilder it got with many fallen large trees requiring exiting the water to get around them. Only 1 brown caught and released fishing a hopper with a nymph dropper. Also caught 50-100. Twice I caught 2 at once. They seem to attack anything that touches the water. Makes me wonder if the trout are being out-competed for food by the chubs?

Also saw 8 deer with one of them sneaking up on me from my downstream side! That was very cool. It was a beautiful day to be on the stream even if I didn't catch the kind of fish I was fishing for. I think I'll go a little further downstream on my next try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fished the PC this morning. Got 4 Browns, 10",12" 15" and 16". Then the biggest Rainbow I've every caught on the PC. A 21 maybe 22" er. Chunky and thick too. I got a 19" last year and this one weighed nearly twice that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts