Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to fly fishing, any tips for the paint creek? I fished it today near tienken, no luck. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m using a 8’6” rod with 5 weight floating line.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m new to fly fishing, any tips for the paint creek? I fished it today near tienken, no luck. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m using a 8’6” rod with 5 weight floating line.

I am a novice as well, I know next to nothing however I am going to begin learning this season. I was out there today, in the rain, just scouting around randomly, near Gallagher Road I think. I didn't have any gear with me, I've haven't fished since I was probably 12 years old and I don't remember much about that. I'm 46 now and I'm looking forward to learning the sport. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a novice as well, I know next to nothing however I am going to begin learning this season. I was out there today, in the rain, just scouting around randomly, near Gallagher Road I think. I didn't have any gear with me, I've haven't fished since I was probably 12 years old and I don't remember much about that. I'm 46 now and I'm looking forward to learning the sport. Good luck.
Well.......I'm in the same "boat". How are you planning to begin learning fly fishing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well.......I'm in the same "boat". How are you planning to begin learning fly fishing?
I went to bass pro to get some flies, the worker recommended some and gave some advice. Other than that just gonna keep trying haha. I went yesterday and was seeing fish, just not catching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been fly fishing Paint Creek for the last year or two so still relatively new but here's my two cents. It's a challenging creek due to it being narrow and wooded, I've lost plenty of flies in the trees. I started in the Tienken area like you and exploring my way northward to find some spots I like.

I was out this morning and caught one fingerling brown. Saw a couple bigger ones but my shadow spooked them. There were a lot of small insects out and action seemed concentrated on the surface. Most of what I've learned has been trial and error with a lot of empty trips but I just enjoy getting out and having wadable rivers in the area.

·
Administrator
35,801 Posts
Using a roll cast on the creek will be very important. I would start by stripping some streamers, like a muddler minnow or drifting some nymphs like a hare's ear, or copper john. I never had too much luck with risers out there, but I'm sure drys do have their day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not going to post any specifics but the creek is looking good this year. Haven't wet a line yet but I live on the creek now so I walk along it and check it out every day.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I don't fly fish, but I did get a couple smaller ones on a 1/16 fire minnow countdown with a #8 barbless earlier yesterday morning. My tactic is to cast to the closer targets first and the furthest targets last. If you're going for the further ones first, you stand a chance of spooking fish that may be closer to you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That old saying - You can’t catch fish w a dry hook. Put in the time!

Tienken is a fine start... upstream from where the Trail crosses the creek there offers some obvious holes. I like to fish dry flies on the Creek, mostly because you don’t hang ‘em up as often as the streamers and nymphs. Look for the wood structures they’ve installed to reinforce the creek, and bang your flies against them. Four inches off is too far for the bigger fish.

Two years ago I took my 11 yr old hiking Paint Creek Trail. We’d hike a couple miles out, then return to our car. I think it took us five Saturdays to do the whole Trail... and we basically hiked it twice (out and back). I watched for fishing opps the entire time. Last year, we did the longer Clinton River Trail.

For fly fishing beginners, I highly recommend Municipal Park in Rochester. Casting from lawns makes it so much easier to learn. And, there are plenty of fish there. I caught a half dozen last week on the really hot night including two 12”ers, which is a fine fish for the Creek.

Also, someone mentioned going in the morning last week? Especially w dry flies, you want a warmer time of day... Afternoon for sure, this time of year.

Good luck, and say Hi, if you see me out there. I’m always wearing that Tilley hat!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Forgot to mention, there is an excellent book on fly fishing Paint Creek. I know they sell it at the Orvis shop on Woodward in Royal Oak.

That old saying - You can’t catch fish w a dry hook. Put in the time!

Tienken is a fine start... upstream from where the Trail crosses the creek there offers some obvious holes. I like to fish dry flies on the Creek, mostly because you don’t hang ‘em up as often as the streamers and nymphs. Look for the wood structures they’ve installed to reinforce the creek, and bang your flies against them. Four inches off is too far for the bigger fish.

Two years ago I took my 11 yr old hiking Paint Creek Trail. We’d hike a couple miles out, then return to our car. I think it took us five Saturdays to do the whole Trail... and we basically hiked it twice (out and back). I watched for fishing opps the entire time. Last year, we did the longer Clinton River Trail.

For fly fishing beginners, I highly recommend Municipal Park in Rochester. Casting from lawns makes it so much easier to learn. And, there are plenty of fish there. I caught a half dozen last week on the really hot night including two 12”ers, which is a fine fish for the Creek.

Also, someone mentioned going in the morning last week? Especially w dry flies, you want a warmer time of day... Afternoon for sure, this time of year.

Good luck, and say Hi, if you see me out there. I’m always wearing that Tilley hat!

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
I know some guys who fish flies like centerpinning - stripping line to let the fly drift with the current naturally. They do real well much of the time. They often use nymphs under an indicator. It's a great way to fish flies, when there isn't room for backcasts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know some guys who fish flies like centerpinning - stripping line to let the fly drift with the current naturally. They do real well much of the time. They often use nymphs under an indicator. It's a great way to fish flies, when there isn't room for backcasts.
what type of indicator do they use?

·
Registered
239 Posts
what type of indicator do they use?
I’ve fished like this using a small yarn indicator. Works okay unless the currents are vastly different between the top and bottom. Going to try a quasi-Euro method with the colored leader this year and pick up a longer rod.

Saw a few guys out fishing the creek last night in the park at dusk. Didn’t look like anyone was having much luck. Hopefully I’ll be out Friday.

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
They just pinch on this foam stuff you can use as a real light indicator. A lot of times they just use the floating fly line as a float, and indicator.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I realize the thread is about Paint Creek, but see a couple guys who are just getting started with a fly rod. I always take new guys out for bluegill this time of year. You'll get a lot more practice and real time feedback on how you're doing. May is a great month in the shallows. Use some smaller poppers, a couple size 10 wooly buggers and nymphs. Have Fun.

·
Super Moderator
20,253 Posts
I realize the thread is about Paint Creek, but see a couple guys who are just getting started with a fly rod. I always take new guys out for bluegill this time of year. You'll get a lot more practice and real time feedback on how you're doing. May is a great month in the shallows. Use some smaller poppers, a couple size 10 wooly buggers and nymphs. Have Fun.
Fur Sure!

Learning to fly fish a brushy creek is not the place to start. It will be so frustrating that the rod will end up in the corner of your basement

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fur Sure!

Learning to fly fish a brushy creek is not the place to start. It will be so frustrating that the rod will end up in the corner of your basement
I'll second this. I bought my fly rod a few years ago and tried first on the Paint Creek and ended up not touching it the rest of the summer because of how frustrated I got with it there.

I would recommend heading to a larger body of water just until you get comfortable with the casting mechanics, and getting your roll cast down.

Now that I know how to actually cast, I'm more confident using it in confined, woody areas.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Any pics of troutskis this year?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just got off the water. Was out for about an hour before and during the rain. Tons of risers but couldn’t buy a bite. Seemed like everything was hatching sporadically. I’d see a few black caddis fly by, then a few browns, then a cloud of midges. Even broke out the 7x and size 22 griffiths gnat. Nada. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts