Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
One year we did a bear camp for griz on the Taylor highway in AK. Buddy brought out his 50bmg. Nice griz stepped out at 600 yards. He told us to aim x amount inches low at 600 since it was sighted in for 1 mile. Nobody wanted to shoot cuz we all wanted to watch. We actually argued til the bear walked away.

Not sure if it was actually sighted in for a mile but listening to him, at 600 shooting at natural targets that thing was on. We shot 100 rounds that week. Glad he had more money than I did..lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes as I can attest to using a 300WM. On one hand I never have used it to its capabilities, 200-500 yard shots. On the other I know damn well hit a deer anywhere in the body its down within 60 yards which has come in handy for 2 I have shot on dead all out runs with mid body hits a lessor may have not put down quick, not killed but incapacitated. Major issue is I do not handload and have not found a factory that leaves a blood trail which I believe is due to high velocity at to short a distance. I hit he vast majority in the boiler room, dbl lung, heart et all. They blow thru the deer, wreck it inside, no blood. Don't really like neck shots. Have used many factory loads, thought Hornady Whitetail 150 gr Interlocs would solve, nope. This year Norma 155 gr Kalahari may be the ticket. Jury still out due to no broadside hits, one quartering to me, center chest out rt side down on the spot and a neck just in front of the shoulder, down on the spot. With the new rules I use it rather than the CVS for blackpowder and perhaps get a broadside to further evaluate.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yes as I can attest to using a 300WM. On one hand I never have used it to its capabilities, 200-500 yard shots. On the other I know damn well hit a deer anywhere in the body its down within 60 yards which has come in handy for 2 I have shot on dead all out runs with mid body hits a lessor may have not put down quick, not killed but incapacitated. Major issue is I do not handload and have not found a factory that leaves a blood trail which I believe is due to high velocity at to short a distance. I hit he vast majority in the boiler room, dbl lung, heart et all. They blow thru the deer, wreck it inside, no blood. Don't really like neck shots. Have used many factory loads, thought Hornady Whitetail 150 gr Interlocs would solve, nope. This year Norma 155 gr Kalahari may be the ticket. Jury still out due to no broadside hits, one quartering to me, center chest out rt side down on the spot and a neck just in front of the shoulder, down on the spot. With the new rules I use it rather than the CVS for blackpowder and perhaps get a broadside to further evaluate.
It Sounds contrary to manliness, but they make reduced recoil,Soft cartridges now for the 300WM. They are lower speed And might work better inside 300 yd.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Federal Premium 165 Nosler Partitions. Been using the Partitions in my 7 mag for almost thirty years on everything from coyote, elk, and deer. 20 yards to 450 yards they do the same thing every time. Pull the trigger and animals just drop.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts
Federal Premium 165 Nosler Partitions. Been using the Partitions in my 7 mag for almost thirty years on everything from coyote, elk, and deer. 20 yards to 450 yards they do the same thing every time. Pull the trigger and animals just drop.
I used Nosler Partitions out of my 338 Win Mag for 35 years and they do work very well on everything. My only complaint is the lead tips get damaged with repeated loading/unloading. We recently switched over to Barns bullets and really like the performance and durability of them.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I used Nosler Partitions out of my 338 Win Mag for 35 years and they do work very well on everything. My only complaint is the lead tips get damaged with repeated loading/unloading. We recently switched over to Barns bullets and really like the performance and durability of them.
I notice the same thing with the lead tips on the partitions. Using a Remington 700 with a hinged floor plate seems to beat them up pretty good, but it doesn’t seem to hurt the accuracy at all like I would think it should.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
I notice the same thing with the lead tips on the partitions. Using a Remington 700 with a hinged floor plate seems to beat them up pretty good, but it doesn’t seem to hurt the accuracy at all like I would think it should.
Partitions are just a great bullet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been shooting 150 gr ballistic silvertips out of my 300 WSM I've taken 5 bucks and 2 Does with the rifle. All have died within sight. I've back trailed most of them to the point of impact . All have left good blood trails.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've been shooting 150 gr ballistic silvertips out of my 300 WSM I've taken 5 bucks and 2 Does with the rifle. All have died within sight. I've back trailed most of them to the point of impact . All have left good blood trails.
I shoot these bullets out of my 22-250 albeit hand loads. Accuracy is outstanding. I've yet to hear of a groundhog complain about the performance;)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have shot 4 deer and 1 bear with a 338 Win Mag, 250 grain Nosler Partitions. 4 of the animals were bang flop.

One buck was close to a property line so I put the cross hairs center shoulder. Hit right where I was aiming but the buck ran 150 yards. Couldn't believe it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
722 Posts
That’s what I’ve settled on too, what ammo are you using? I switched to Bear Creek this year and I’m thoroughly impressed with it, but it ain’t cheap.
I too am shooting a Bushmaster. I switched this year to Federal 260 gr Fusion. I have killed two deer with them. First one went about 35 yards and the second one dropped in his tracks. I really like the penetration. The second deer had the round go through the liver (angled shot) and turned it into pudding. I am thinking about switching to Barnes copper next year to get away from the lead. About $35.00 per box for the Federals. I guess I will see how they do. Who knows, I may switch back to the Federals if not happy with the Barnes.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts