Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an engine problem and dont know too much about turning wrenches inside them. Yeah, yeah, I know Im in the Coast Guard but I dont work on engines. So here it is. When I run my motor Im having the gas oil mix come out of the engine in the pics down below. Where you see the yellow arrows is where I believe it is coming from. Also when I engage the motor and come up on plain at almost full throttle she stalls out. Like she's sucking air or not getting fuel. Hence the fuel that you see in the pics below. My question is does anyone know what this may be and how to fix it? Any help would be thankful. Engine is a mid 80's Mariner 60hp and the problem is on the port side of the engine.

Jeremy

Heres my little baby!

Here's the motor with trouble area!

Another engine shot. See the oil gas residue in there?

Port side of outboard

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
changing my answer.

fuel pump, check on the bottom of that to see if it's leaking around there...just run your finger around it. (it's the thing to the right of the starter and left of the fuel filter)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
when you just sit at the dock and run the RPM's high without being engaged, does it also die? You may have a crack in your fuel pump diaphram. It's pumping enough gas to keep the float full idling, but as soon as it's under load, it can't keep up.

That should be relatively easy to inspect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back in from the dock and there is definately fuel leaking somewhere. Because it keeps dripping, causing a small light sheen. So I took the boat out of the water because I dont want to pollute. I then took the carborator cover off and noticed when I pushed on the primer bulb fuel was coming out of this hole (see yellow arrow below) and I am pretty much a engine NOOB but dont think fuel should be coming out of this hole since it is on the carborators exterior. Or is that an overflow hole and there is no fuel coming out of the top carb so possibly that one is jacked? And the fuel line split picture is not a split in the fuel line rather then where it goes from the one fuel line to two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like snowman11 said could the fuel be comming from the bowl of the top carb. I believe there is a drain screw on the bottom of the top carb.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fla_cracker said:
Like snowman11 said could the fuel be comming from the bowl of the top carb. I believe there is a drain screw on the bottom of the top carb.
I thought that was weird too. But I checked it like three times and each time gas was coming from that hole and no gas was coming from the top carb. I will check it again tommorrow morning to see if any gas is coming from the top carb, but there was none that I seen today. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
snowman11 said:
take a good picture of the other side of the carb too :)
I will post that this evening. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Carb needs rebuilt. New gaskets and seals. The hole you say you have gas coming out of is a vaccuum hole. It is where the carb gets air to create a vaccuum. Get a rebuild kit for the carb. Most likely that will solve your problems. I will volunteer to rebuild the carb but you would have to get it down to me and I am in willis and I am gone till monday. Being you have a double carb set up you will need two rebuild kits one for each carb.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I compress the primer bulb should I have gas come out of both carbs? Because I only have it coming out of the bottom carb and maybe all the gas is going there causing it to come out of the vaccum hole. Just a thought!

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
copper95b said:
When I compress the primer bulb should I have gas come out of both carbs? Because I only have it coming out of the bottom carb and maybe all the gas is going there causing it to come out of the vaccum hole. Just a thought!
Yes when you press the primer ball you should have gas going to both carbs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Rebuild the carb and make sure you install good floats as well as other parts, dont buy cheap stuff for the fuel systems...its the blood of the motor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigcountrysg said:
Yes when you press the primer ball you should have gas going to both carbs.
So I might have a gooked up carb causing this problem you think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
snowman11 said:
take a good picture of the other side of the carb too :)
Starboard side of the carb.

Found this missing piece of seal on carb cover. Would that cause problems?

Thanks for all you help guys! Like I said Im an engine noob and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two after this.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The missing piece of gasket is on the front of the bottom carb. look in the pics. that piece of gasket is outside of the screw hole and won't effect the sealing - you could put a bit of silicone on it but if your going to rebuild the carbs you might as well replace that gasket. Personally I'd replace the leaking fuel line first then try it out. Carbs won't get enough fuel to run at high speed with a leak. Not unusual to have fuel come out of the carbs when your priming as you can easily over pressurize and force the needle valve off the seat. Was it running good earlier this year and just started running bad after leaking? Then replace the line. If you just got her on the water after sitting all winter with old gas in it then you might have to clean and rebuild them.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I would personally rebuild them...but I learn better by touching things.

You may very well find that there is a small piece of gunk in the float needle. It would explain both the starvation for gas as well as the gas coming out of the hole when priming. All they probably need is a good cleaning, but if you are going to take them off the engine you might as well rebuild them at the same time.

If you aren't comfortable doing it, take bg up on his offer and bring it down.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
I will be back in the area tomorrow sometime. I will rebuild boht of your carbs for free. All you have to do is supply the rebuild kit. Trust me when I am done with it your boat motor will run like brand new. bring it to me and you won't be sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts