Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Outboard on Muskegon

679 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  JungleGeorge
How far up the Muskegon do you folks think I could get in a 16' Alumacraft w prop outboard? I suspect the answer is "not far" but wondered if it was possible
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
i'm having one of those days, excuse me, u could go all the way to croton if the river is high, or maybe only as far as the old cob plant if your head ain't on right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's a hard question to answer, boat men ship, n common sense
Depend on where you put in and what you can see before you hit it and as mentioned what the water level is.
Late summer is a good time to look over areas I fished the most. Lots of bad areas to run an outboard.
A prop guard and a spare prop and spare shear pins if not a slip hub would be desired.

I've a second outboard to get running when the weather is nice. (12 ft. boat).
Check that the tilt is easy enough should I (when I ) collide with a rock or bar that it tilts , and a pitchforks tines clamped ahead of the prop , I might make it a little ways. L.o.l..

You'll need to study the section you want to run. Float down it first maybe while taking notes and mapping. (A good flooding or high water event can change things after.)
Reactions: R-boat and riverbob
Much further if we take your boat than mine I’m sure! I’ve launched twice at Maple island launch that stretch of river pretty easily navigated with a prop drive.
How far up the Muskegon do you folks think I could get in a 16' Alumacraft w prop outboard? I suspect the answer is "not far" but wondered if it was possible
Reactions: Waif and Shoeman
Water must of been real high if you were able to get your boat off at that launch …….
Much further if we take your boat than mine I’m sure! I’ve launched twice at Maple island launch that stretch of river pretty easily navigated with a prop drive.
Ive donated too many props and an anchor to the Muskegon. I'd suggest getting a 30pk. In late July and floating in a tube
Perhaps so? I’m not a fan of the Muskegon myself. It’s on my do not fish list. :sneaky: I think I remember having to back into the river a ways.
Water must of been real high if you were able to get your boat off at that launch …….
Yes on of the first times I fished in that area we had almost 4 wheels into the river … and pushed the boat off. Was about 12 years ago , and have since learned
1 - 8 of 8 Posts