Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spending a little time today reminiscing about the 2019 season. These pictures capture our successful hunts and a few of our favorite experiences.

But first, a few disclaimers:

1) We're not out shooting deer just to rack up a lot of kills - we have a large family and our freezers are now full but will be empty again by next September. Some venison also went to a few other families and two deer were donated to Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger.

2) All of these deer were already legally tagged when the photos with hunters in them were taken, and all hunters were wearing hunter orange when required when the deer was killed.

3) These deer were killed on a number of different properties. There's been no over harvest of deer in any of the areas we hunt.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Spending a little time today reminiscing about the 2019 season. These pictures capture our successful hunts and a few of our favorite experiences.

But first, a few disclaimers:

1) We're not out shooting deer just to rack up a lot of kills - we have a large family and our freezers are now full but will be empty again by next September. Some venison also went to a few other families and two deer were donated to Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger.

2) All of these deer were already legally tagged when the photos with hunters in them were taken, and all hunters were wearing hunter orange when required when the deer was killed.

3) These deer were killed on a number of different properties. There's been no over harvest of deer in any of the areas we hunt.
Shame that the disclaimers are necessary. This is America, where you are innocent until proven guilty.

Bring on the pics...........I saw some ducks recently.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On October 18th our youngest daughter and I were set up in Eaton County. When this buck came into view he took his time coming into range, which gave her an opportunity to get a little rattled. After the shot she held her hand up and started giggling as she tried to explain that she couldn't stop her hand from shaking.

E57CE3B4-3841-4C8E-AD46-F813E5341113.jpeg

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Our typical routine is to hunt Friday evening in Calhoun or Eaton County and then set up an overnight "hunting camp" at a local hotel.

One of the areas of disagreement in our marriage is what constitutes an acceptable diet while away hunting. I feel that as long as the children get something from each of the four essential food groups (meat, french fries or chips, pop, and dessert) that I'm doing well as a father. My wife has a different perspective, and so these pictures were provided by the children as assurance to her that dad was progressing in his level of dietary enlightenment.

3C957FB7-0DAE-4616-9D31-6D7EA1E0424A.jpeg
B8287B7B-8D49-4DC9-A0B6-DB145C4E748F.jpeg

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Most excellent start to the thread. I love it so far.
I hear you on the hunting diet. With my oldest (the only one of age to hunt right now) gas station pizza, crispitos or random chicken strips and fries or chips is a staple along with Mt. Dew and gatorade.
Funny because we don't drive more than a hr to our farthest property we hunt, but dang we get hungry during the hunt.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Spent some time on Nov. 16th introducing the 16 year old to corn field stalking. We did sneak up on some deer but no bucks.

I have no idea why I thought it was fruitful to have him practice taking aim while laying on the ground but at the time it seemed like a good idea. Such is the nature of parenting - many "good ideas" at the moment turn into head scratchers after a little time goes by.

625DDE4C-3DFA-4B52-BE0A-063C09E2A28C.jpeg

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Our 16 year old killed this Eaton County buck on November 22nd in a spot where there was 40 acres of corn to the west of a prime bedding area. After the first fews days of firearm season a bunch of deer were concentrated in that area. Until the corn was harvested in mid December it made for some exciting hunts in terms of deer sightings and activity.

81D3BC2E-279A-4F2E-BB00-0892664AB6FB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,162 Posts
Great job and great family. That’s awesome that you all can get out together. Enjoy it they grow up fast

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Great stuff Jeff!!

Keep up the great work raising that gang

Reactions: November Sunrise

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When she was a youngster I sometimes playfully referred to our middle daughter as Little Annie Oakley, in recognition of her marksmanship skill with a weapon. We used to hunt together often but right now she's wrapping up her undergraduate studies and as a result has limited time go afield. That made this year's Thanksgiving morning hunt especially important to me. It was great to hang out in the blind together and we were both excited that she was able to put her tag on this Eaton County doe.

C57F80A7-F4EF-4AC8-8C21-5AAD3F06A1A2.jpeg

1 - 20 of 78 Posts