Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boys and their cousin wanted to start trapping earlier than our regular schedule Thanksgiving line. So we had a littel 2-day trap line up north. They set 7 beaver traps, 3 canine traps, 3 coon traps.

Their total catch was 1 red fox, 3 beaver, 2 possums, and 1 coon. The coon and one possum are not shown in the picture.

·
Registered
286 Posts
nice job. out of curosity tho, are they making all the sets? i only ask because my daughters are trapping with me and i make about half the sets and was thinking maybe they should/could make all the sets. thanks, wally

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wally,

Last year they were making most of the sets. This year they are making nearly all the sets, but I may help with parts they have difficulty doing such as putting in the deep part of the drowners or driving a stubborn cable stake. My oldest basically set the beaver sets including 3 330's.

I stand right there with them and narrate as I feel they may need it.

I am hoping to get some pictorials of the boys making sets to share.

·
Registered
286 Posts
thanks larry. mine are ten and twelve. i do try to not do it but it is hard, maybe i will have to try harder to just narrate. i do tho let my 12 year old do all the skinning, shes a little slow but she does a good job always making sure to get the eye lashes and lips.

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
nice catch for you and the boys larry. im trying to get my son to start skinning but he wants nothing to do with it.:lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Larry
Are they doing the skinning also? They don't look happy about taking their picture. How's the running been?
Paul

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill,

I finally got my oldest skinning a little bit. I bought him a Chicago Blue knife. He is actually pretty darn good, but I do give him easier task such as small coon and possums. Next week, I hope to start him on a couple of rats. My youngest, 9, informed me that water trapping is way cooler than canine trapping. I think he just likes walking down the center of a creek.:lol:

Joe, Ed & Others,

Thanks. They are hooked! I don't think I could stop them at this point. Ya'all know as well as anybody its a dang addiction.lol My wife asked after our weekend does that satisfy ya for a while? I asked the oldest and his reply was "I want to do it more!"

Nice catch of coons, Joe.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opps, missed your post TallPaul. I am a slow typer. They were trying to look serious in the picture.

Running has been slow ... we have a dog issue going on right now. The oldest boy's pup needs running, but a 2 year old is running everything in the woods. I am going to solve the problem this Friday. To date, we have only shot one coon. Other hunters are slamming the state land and it is making the running very interesting. We keep striking this one ole boy who high tails it to a flooded waterfowl area. Water is waist deep in there.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nice catch for the boys Larry. Make sure they save the picture so 30 years from now there kids can laugh at them on there clothes and hair cut.:lol:

Griff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts