Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is there a special handshake like the Masons and Shriners have......

I just picked up a 650 otter lodge last night I like everything about it accept how well it retains heat compared to my Eskimo they're not even in the same ball game for heat retention....

that said put up take down is a snap jumping to different locations is easy as can be and the thing paul like its not even there I think it was a good decision

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
so is there a special handshake like the Masons and Shriners have......

I just picked up a 650 otter lodge last night I like everything about it accept how well it retains heat compared to my Eskimo they're not even in the same ball game for heat retention....

that said put up take down is a snap jumping to different locations is easy as can be and the thing paul like its not even there I think it was a good decision
My cabin xt1200 is too hot with a portable buddy heater on low.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I bought the otter 650xt lodge last weekend. I have owned two clams in the past and am very impressed with the otter. The size setup is great, lots if room. Worth every dollar I spent.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Remember when men sat on buckets all day. I remember having to look at other fisherman all day on the river. Made finding active fish easier too .

·
Registered
230 Posts
I own a xt650 lodge, xt1200 lodge, and a xt650 cabin. In my opinion there isn't any other shanty's on the market, cause Ive tried just about all of them.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have the same setup. Scorching hott. So hott its hard to breathe. Gary your not comparing apples to apples. The 650 is the insulated roof only. The 1200 is full thermal.
Damn you I couldnt even type fast enough lol. Missed the news but Dad said they didnt show us at 6 I watched online and they showed us ridin in but not wavin lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had my lodge since 08 wouldn't trade for another brand. You get cold turn heater up. One great shanty!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Bought a 650 lodge last year, absolutely the worst shanty I have ever had. It looks like it's 10 years old after 4 trips. Front skirt is broke off, one end of plastic retainers for the shell is completely broke. Every screw has about fell out of the poles. And their are holes everywhere. I have had a clam Yukon that was great but wanted more height. Bought a frabill predator, made it 2 years before it the sled shattered. But this otter is by far the worst overall. Great sled is all it has, thermal seems better but I still do not like how it attaches to the sled. Eskimos seem to be picking up their game with the full skirt going all the way around the sled.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Bought a 650 lodge last year, absolutely the worst shanty I have ever had. It looks like it's 10 years old after 4 trips. Front skirt is broke off, one end of plastic retainers for the shell is completely broke. Every screw has about fell out of the poles. And their are holes everywhere. I have had a clam Yukon that was great but wanted more height. Bought a frabill predator, made it 2 years before it the sled shattered. But this otter is by far the worst overall. Great sled is all it has, thermal seems better but I still do not like how it attaches to the sled. Eskimos seem to be picking up their game with the full skirt going all the way around the sled.
Why I stopped buying flip shanties... sleds kept getting wasted! Perfectly happy with my hub style shanty. And don't even get me started on the hyfax crap... just make the sled good to begin with! Why do I have a 25 yr old plastic sled I used as a kid that still works great that cost $20 but a damn $700 ice shanty sled wont last one season without holes wearing through!

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
Slow down! If you're trashing an Otter sled, no one makes one for you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Why I stopped buying flip shanties... sleds kept getting wasted! Perfectly happy with my hub style shanty. And don't even get me started on the hyfax crap... just make the sled good to begin with! Why do I have a 25 yr old plastic sled I used as a kid that still works great that cost $20 but a damn $700 ice shanty sled wont last one season without holes wearing through!
I'm assuming you don't pull that 20 dollar sled across the bay? The bay will beat any equipment up. That being said my otter is 5 years old and a lot of hard miles on the bay. I'm not one to take it easy or slow out there. No cracks in that tub. Does have a couple broken hifax.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've hit some stuff with mine this year that I'm positive when I'm at shore there'll be a hole in it, and when I get in there's nothing. My Frabill would be in a 1,000 pieces by now

·
Registered
25,155 Posts
Boy have shanty's evolved now days, I bet 1/2 these guys out there now days don't even remember when they came out with the good ole Minute man shanty's, You were styling if you rolled with one of them. With a candle and coffee can to keep you warm.. LOL..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have had otter for 12 years now no trouble with it if you take care of your stuff it will last long time! and yes I go fishing alot so dont go there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have had otter for 12 years now no trouble with it if you take care of your stuff it will last long time! and yes I go fishing alot so dont go there!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Boy have shanty's evolved now days, I bet 1/2 these guys out there now days don't even remember when they came out with the good ole Minute man shanty's, You were styling if you rolled with one of them. With a candle and coffee can to keep you warm.. LOL..
Come on, we used a single burner coleman with a black can on top for heat. For our wooden shanties, which I still have. We must have been "high class".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts