Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those that run Otter boats from big Jon, we sometimes have an issue getting these bad boys to pull hard and stay farther away from the boat like some of the big planer boards do, is there any modification that can be done to make them pull a little harder...thanks again...

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Trout Tracker has some pix in his gallery on some mods he made to make them track better and stay upright at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have a pair just like the ones pictured. Same modifications thanks to Trout Tracker, he made them up and installed them. They track about the same, maybe a touch better but the advantage is in the fact they hold the plainer line much tighter. This makes for easy setting of lines as the releases slide down much better. I also believe the "Hookups" are better also. Seems the fish stay buttoned and the hooks are burried in the farther. I am in favor of leaving the mods just as they are!

Rick

·
Registered
102 Posts
Big Jon doesn't tell you this but they have a duel keel setup for the otter boats. That makes all the difference. The otter boards with duel keels are the best planars you can buy.

The tacklemater

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you have a pic?

It would seem kinda hard to make any money on it if they don't tell you about it.

I'd try it.

Tacklemaster said:
Big Jon doesn't tell you this but they have a duel keel setup for the otter boats. That makes all the difference. The otter boards with duel keels are the best planars you can buy.

The tacklemater

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I left John Williams a message as well as an email, interested to see what he says about the dual keel setup...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yes, the dual keel setup is news to me. I do think the single keel needs a little help to pull tighter.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great customer service from a local source again, John Williams gave me a jingle back and additional keels are one way, 20 bucks a piece, just call up there and tell them you need additional keels for your Otter Boats

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke with John again this morning, my additional keels will be arriving Friday morning, there are some slight modifications involved, have to cut a section of the additional keels to make sure the boat does not sink, will post pics and results this weekend!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tacklemaster,

What kind of modifications did you have to make to add the additional keel, John mentioned something about cutting some of the lead off the additional keel!

·
Registered
102 Posts
With the double keels the board doesn't sink but doesn't float real great when the boat isn't moving. As long as you have the boat moving a little you shouldn't have any problems. I've fished them all over in all kinds of conditions and at all different speeds haven't had a problem with no modifications. I think you should be able to remove some lead from the keels but it's up to you.

The Tacklemaster

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not too bad! We'll figure her out Andy. Better pre-engineered than that trial & error crap we were gonna do. Maybe if we can't get the Sporty out this weekend we can take 'em for a trial run on the Tracker. Never pulled boards with no intention of fishing. Never know we may have something here.lol!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts