Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever installed a hand driven water well on their land? I have researched this and am considering driving a 2 inch well. I am riverfront, so my guess is I only have to go 20 - 40 feet down, the soil is packed sand where my place is (not in MI.)

Advice is to use a fencepost driver (big tube with 2 handles and weighted plug at top end) instead of a sledge, can erect a tripod with pulleys if it is too much by hand. Cost for basic materials is pretty nominal (around $500 depending on pump type.)

Anybody who has done this I would really like to hear your experiences and advice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I helped a buddy do exactly as you describe. We used the fencepost driver and took turns driving. I think we went about 30+ feet. After a little while of pumping out the grit that ice cold clear water suuuure was good after all that work. :D

I plan to do that near my dog kennels, sure would be convenient to have water right there on hand and not have to haul buckets from the house.

BTW - We were both pretty sore the next day.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i have helped due this twice. my familys cabin has 1 that was put down in 1986 and is still working great. the other 1 was at my fathers old place in the u.p. its was down around 30 ft. we used 6" well pipe with weight welded to the top and handles on the side to drive it and i was alot of work. if you are using a pitcher pump to pull water you may want to check and see how far it can draw water. the 1 in the u.p. was good for 40ft.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Kevin and Skinne got it right. You could do it yourself. Of course as a well driller though I have to tell you to support your local driller.;) :D Just giving you a rough time. If you have any problems give me a holler and I'll give you advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts