Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to head up that way this weekend to try for Lakers, steelhead, and salmon but have never fished Lake Huron before. I’ll be coming from our cabin in Twining so my question is whether I should trailer to Oscoda or launch out of Tawas? Which port would give me the best chance at catching some of these species??

I’ve been reading the recent Tawas reports/thread, but haven’t seen a recent Oscoda thread on here. Any info or guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
330 Posts
By the forecast with east and n/e winds not sure how much fishing will be done. As far as ports each can be good. Oscoda has more docks for launching. If you fish Oscoda head east about 5 miles and set up in about 70ft. of water. There should be plenty of Lakers around.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ed’s right on the wind I hope you can make it out there. As far as port you’ll catch lakers at either. Right now I’m thinking Oscoda is probably the better bet and maybe a better chance at a silver fish. Good luck if you make it out.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It’s a much farther run out of Tawas to 70’ so that was swaying me towards Oscoda. I’m up until Tuesday so I’m hoping I can get out Sunday and/or Monday to give it a shot. Any particular patterns/colors I should start with?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks! It’s a much farther run out of Tawas to 70’ so that was swaying me towards Oscoda. I’m up until Tuesday so I’m hoping I can get out Sunday and/or Monday to give it a shot. Any particular patterns/colors I should start with?

If your looking for Lakers a chrome dodger and spin n glo run near bottom should work. Orange or bright color spoons for steelhead usually work also. Black and glow spoons certainly have there days also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a slip in Oscoda and fish three to four times a week. The lakes been too rough to fish comfortably at least since Sunday I’m hoping by this weekend or Monday it calms down some. Last week I spent most of my time in 40-60 ft and picked up a king, lost a steelhead behind the boat, and a lot of Lakers. Most of my fish are coming on high lines with three and five colors off boards being my best producers followed by my high braid dipsey. One day last week cowbells and gambler rigs on bottom were the ticket but other than that my deep riggers have been quiet. As was said Dodgers and spin n glos typically produce but don’t rule out meat if you run it and sometimes it seems like a mostly spoon program is the ticket. If I get out this weekend end I definitely plan to Monday morning I’ll send you a message if we get into fish as I’m thinking the fish may be a little deeper than last week.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a slip in Oscoda and fish three to four times a week. The lakes been too rough to fish comfortably at least since Sunday I’m hoping by this weekend or Monday it calms down some. Last week I spent most of my time in 40-60 ft and picked up a king, lost a steelhead behind the boat, and a lot of Lakers. Most of my fish are coming on high lines with three and five colors off boards being my best producers followed by my high braid dipsey. One day last week cowbells and gambler rigs on bottom were the ticket but other than that my deep riggers have been quiet. As was said Dodgers and spin n glos typically produce but don’t rule out meat if you run it and sometimes it seems like a mostly spoon program is the ticket. If I get out this weekend end I definitely plan to Monday morning I’ll send you a message if we get into fish as I’m thinking the fish may be a little deeper than last week.
Thanks for the info! I’ll be bringing 3, 5, 8, & 10 color lead core rods, 2 braid dipsy rods, and 2 rigger rods. Have dodgers and spin n glos and a decent selection of spoons. I should be able to cover the water column so hopefully I can get on some fish! Sure hope the weather cooperates!! Don’t have a Fish Hawk...how fast do you typically troll for Lakers? 2.0-2.5 sog?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the info! I’ll be bringing 3, 5, 8, & 10 color lead core rods, 2 braid dipsy rods, and 2 rigger rods. Have dodgers and spin n glos and a decent selection of spoons. I should be able to cover the water column so hopefully I can get on some fish! Sure hope the weather cooperates!! Don’t have a Fish Hawk...how fast do you typically troll for Lakers? 2.0-2.5 sog?
I’m typically watching the FH but my SOG is typically anywhere from 1.4 to 2.2 depending on the day. I’ve also caught them trolling fast for steel so it all depends on the day but if after Lakers you should be good anywhere in that 1.4 to 2.2 range. Also not a bad idea to run a little on the high end when you’re still searching so you can cover more water then slow it down once you’re making consistently

·
Registered
173 Posts
We fished out of Oscoda this morning for about 3 1/2 hours. Ended up with 5 lakers and a small coho. 75-80 fow 2-2.4 mph. 3 of the lakers came on a 10 color
IMG_0909.JPG
with a monkey puke. Two on riggers with a greasy chicken wing and bloody nose each taking one. Drug a small coho around on a 3 color about and hour and finally confirming something was there when we pulled lines.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
We fished out of Oscoda this morning for about 3 1/2 hours. Ended up with 5 lakers and a small coho. 75-80 fow 2-2.4 mph. 3 of the lakers came on a 10 color View attachment 769844 with a monkey puke. Two on riggers with a greasy chicken wing and bloody nose each taking one. Drug a small coho around on a 3 color about and hour and finally confirming something was there when we pulled lines.

Nice Chuck!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We did very good the past 2 days out of Oscoda. Caught 9 Lakers yesterday afternoon and 7 this morning with a king and an Atlantic. 75-85’ 8-10 color lead and riggers 60-65’ down took most fish. Hopefully the weather cooperates in the morning for one more trip this week.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took a new crew out this morning from Oscoda and we had them dialed in early boating our 3 person limit of lake trout by 9:30 am. Was beautiful out there today and sure was nice to put some buddies on some nice fish!! Thank you all for the help/info!!

Caught them in 70-85’. Most fish came on a chrome dodger with a yellow spin n glow w/Red dots on it. A few came on 8 color with a spoon and one even came on a dipsey with spin dr fly rig.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We got out in the old Islander again today. About 5 miles out of the mouth of AuSable. In 70-85 fow. Ended up with 10 lakers. 6 came on spin n glows/flashers on the riggers. 2 on the 10 color monkey puke combo and one each on a slide diver/bloody nose and 5 color with a 3 oz snap weight and a greasy chicken wing. Beautiful day on the water.
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts