Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just got in from planting 140 osage orange trees on my north line. Even at 2ft those little suckers sure are sharp and they do a job cutting up your hands. I think these may do the job. Next week 200 more trees to plant. I sure hope my back holds up:D Anyone ever planted these before?? Thanks and happy planting....m:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never personally planeted any osage orange but I've studied them a bit (I'm a Landscape Architecture major).. 140 trees, that's a pretty good sized lot of them, they'll be beautiful once they mature, you cant beat the bark for distinctive exfoliating looks. They'll grow fast, very dense and make an excellent border. I just wouldnt sit under one for too long in the fall once they mature-- ya might get cold-cocked by a falling orange :dizzy:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anthology86 said:
I've never personally planeted any osage orange but I've studied them a bit (I'm a Landscape Architecture major).. 140 trees, that's a pretty good sized lot of them, they'll be beautiful once they mature, you cant beat the bark for distinctive exfoliating looks. They'll grow fast, very dense and make an excellent border. I just wouldnt sit under one for too long in the fall once they mature-- ya might get cold-cocked by a falling orange :dizzy:
I using them to keep my neighbors from wandering over to my place:D . Just being 2 ft tall those thorns are nasty. Today my hands are cut up and sore. Even with gloves those dudes go right through them. How long to say 6 ft?? Wondering how fast they grow?? I got them in good sun and sandy loam.

Yea when I was in my younger days use to toss them on a stick with a nail on the end. When they're green you might as well get hit by a rock cause you're right about being cold-cocked:lol: I remember the squirrels loves them but I don't think deer ate them.:confused: Any clue if whitetails would eat them of course when they get softer??.........m:D

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
marty said:
I using them to keep my neighbors from wandering over to my place:D . Just being 2 ft tall those thorns are nasty. Today my hands are cut up and sore. Even with gloves those dudes go right through them. How long to say 6 ft?? Wondering how fast they grow?? I got them in good sun and sandy loam.

m:D
Before barbed wire osage was planted on property lines and was claimed to hold pigs from roaming loose.
:lol: Maybe you can keep some pigs out!:lol:

Don't know how fast they grow but I would suspect a pretty slow growth rate on your trees. Your a little north of the zones they like to grow in.
All of the osage I've cut in southern Mi. had real small growth rings on them.
Went to Missouri a couple years ago to cut some for making bows. They had a better growth rate when they grew in good areas.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Airoh said:
Before barbed wire osage was planted on property lines and was claimed to hold pigs from roaming loose.
:lol: Maybe you can keep some pigs out!:lol:
Yepper that's what I'm shooting for:lol: ....m:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
From my education, they generally grow quickly but as Airoh said, they are a little out of their range. They will grow pretty steadily though, not sure what the deer think about them though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts