Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha...toured some stateland the last couple days...apparently, marking your spot with orange ribbon claims yoru stateland location and parking spot for the weekend! Always get a chuckle this time of year....

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Yep I dropped my youngest son off at the bus school bus this mourning and took a ride down the power line too see how the deer were moveing. I seen at least six different ribbon trails . I just wish they would take them down when they are done. They must be terrified of getting lost in such wild wilderness we have here in Wellston.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I was never a fan of the orange ribbons and used the tacks to find my way to a new stand...until I showed up one morning and there were tacks going in every direction and it looked like hundreds of eyes staring at me :yikes::lol:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I was never a fan of the orange ribbons and used the tacks to find my way to a new stand...until I showed up one morning and there were tacks going in every direction and it looked like hundreds of eyes staring at me :yikes::lol:
Lmao

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Lmao!!

Always have thAt feeling something's watching you in the dark then you turn around, see 100 "eyes" staring at you then you forget about stealth and run for your stand :yikes:

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i was going to use the tacks to find my way on a state land spot, until I came out one night using my headlamp (usually I try to avoid using it) and there were tacks all over the place!

·
Registered
902 Posts
always makes me cringe every year to have to clean up orange ribbons after people ... if you have to use them, please, take them down when you are done! Same as littering, IMO

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Haha...toured some stateland the last couple days...apparently, marking your spot with orange ribbon claims yoru stateland location and parking spot for the weekend! Always get a chuckle this time of year....
It is incredible the amount of orange ribbons, tacks, reflective clips, etc I pull down in the PRC each year.

If you can't find your way in and out on your own, go back downstate to your mowed and raked access trails. You have no business being where you are up here.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
LOL, same here. Then I started losing which ones were mine and had to walk right up to each tack. Don't hunt that public land anymore.

And we all know most guys won't be taking them down end of season. I ussually fill a pocket small game hunting.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thats why you should always carry a roll of Police Line, caution do not cross tape with you. This is for the detours on the trail....lmao

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
It is incredible the amount of orange ribbons, tacks, reflective clips, etc I pull down in the PRC each year.

If you can't find your way in and out on your own, go back downstate to your mowed and raked access trails. You have no business being where you are up here.
what if your just a kid...i used em from 12-16 until i was confident enough to not need them.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Orange ribbons I mean, would suck trying to find reflective tacks, and would hurt having a pocket full.

I was just thinking I used to always use the orange ribbon. When I was about 16 I was walking a creek bottom and found an unreal trial. I backed up and found a spot to sit. I took one small section of orange ribbon and tied it tight to a stick. I hoped to get there again but dad wanted to hunt somewhere else and wouldn't give me the car, forgot all about it.

Couple years ago I was walking the same bottom and found a good spot. Set my chair up and started looking around. About five feet away there was a tightly wrapped white ribbon... It only took 10 years to find it, wasn't that good tho, didn't see any deer.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
what if your just a kid...i used em from 12-16 until i was confident enough to not need them.
Once you walk it a couple of times you should have no problem finding your way in and out. It doesn't matter if it's a hundred yards or a couple miles. It's part of learning how to be a woodsman.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Haven't bought a tack or ribbon in years.
I usually restock my supply November 10 through the 14th.
Turns the owners into deer pushers opening morning at daylight. Lol

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Well SCOTT, I use these markers to aid my father in finding his spot.
He used to be very good with direction but, age has caught up to him as it will you one day. And, if that's what it takes to keep him hunting with me, I will continue to do it regardless of what the "professional hunters" say. We are sorry to intrude on "your land".

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hate orange ribbon season. I have a relative who has been known to make multiple splits in the road by adding extra orange ribbons that go off in the wrong direction. It wouldn't be so bad if people took them down at the end of the season.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Well SCOTT, I use these markers to aid my father in finding his spot.
He used to be very good with direction but, age has caught up to him as it will you one day. And, if that's what it takes to keep him hunting with me, I will continue to do it regardless of what the "professional hunters" say. We are sorry to intrude on "your land".
Good for you, glad to see you are still getting out there with your dad. Pull his ribbons down when you are done and others won't have to clean up the mess.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Just go out tomorrow afternoon late and move all the ribbon around or take them down. There will be some unhappy people the first morning. I used to pick up a bunch of them when I hunted state land. Years ago there wa a guy that hunted at my uncles and according to him he was the best woodsman there was. My cousin and I found his line of tacks and rerouted them so he went thru a wet swamp. Later in the afternoon someone had to go find him. He never came back up hunting after all the ribbing he got

·
Registered
204 Posts

HAHA!!! I just had to laugh at this post.. Dude.. You sound like a complete D#$k bag

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.