Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Optima last week. You have to really slam it closed to get the hammer to cock. Is that normal on those guns? Seemed a little odd to me. It works ok as long as you make sure to slam it shut and check the hammer to make sure that it will cock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just checked mine.It cocks whether its closed or not.Somethings not right.Take it back.!!!!!You shouldn't have to SLAM it closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your breech plug may not have been "set" properly yet. You need to use the wrench to crank down on it, then loosen it up, then tighten it "finger tight". At that point the plug is "crush fit" and you should be able to close the gun much easier and be able to cock the hammer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine was like that when it was new. Now its fine. I still shut it good and tight but I haven't had a problem

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your breech plug may not have been "set" properly yet. You need to use the wrench to crank down on it, then loosen it up, then tighten it "finger tight". At that point the plug is "crush fit" and you should be able to close the gun much easier and be able to cock the hammer.
Thanks I'll try this. I did change to the BH 209 breech plug, but it was like that before also. Maybe the original was never set also.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
To accommodate the blowback issues in my girlfriends Optima I have to use O rings and get the same thing...

It was great yesterday, I was trying like heck to get the action open, cussing and beating the foreend... My 80 lb boxer got scared ran into the dang ramrod and bent it. :rant:

Yours should not be that tight from the factory..

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Glad I don't have all these problems with a T/C...........

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lack of tight tolerances are in your favor with that tc.

My optima is perfect. Love that gun.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
To be honest I hate all these "Quick Release" type plugs... I can take the long plug wrench provided with my Optima Elite and a nail and have the breech plug out in about a quarter of the time as it takes to unscrew the QR plug by hand..

Additionally I think the old Hex type plugs provided better and more options to removing a stuck plug than the newer hand plugs..

Just my $37 dollars and change

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Lack of tight tolerances are in your favor with that tc.

My optima is perfect. Love that gun.

Lack of tolerances?????? Come on up and lets shoot them side by side and I'll show you tolerances........... LOL

Your Optima isn't perfect unless you're shooting a Barnes from it....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm holding 1inch groups with mine at 150. Shot it yesterday. I'm shooting shockwaves. Hollow points were stacking at 125. Love my Optima. Not saying TC is bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lack of tolerances?????? Come on up and lets shoot them side by side and I'll show you tolerances........... LOL

Your Optima isn't perfect unless you're shooting a Barnes from it....
Isn't tc made by the same people thy make the tickle me Elmo? She sure feel like a toy.

I get you bought yours because they are endorsed by Michael waddel lol

All in fun!

·
Registered
10,813 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
:lol:

Word is he wants one dipped in pink realtree like Tiffany..

You tell me what's wrong with Tiffany????? Just wait until you get my age... LOL

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Ok after having the unthinkable happen tonight with an Optima I planned on shooting tomorrow I may be in a Knight or Traditions next year...

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Oh, oh........ ?????

Come on you can't leave us that way. I hope no one got hurt.........

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Oh, oh........ ?????

Come on you can't leave us that way. I hope no one got hurt.........
No one got hurt... I noticed yesterday that the forearm was a lil loose while fouling.. NO big deal that screw backed itself out.. So I grab it, put it on the gunvise, dang forearm falls off.. OK... Until I see what happened, the little "clip" thing that the screw goes into fell out of the slots on the barrel.. :rant: Alright, pry apart with needle nose, even with super pissed off ready to kill someone super human strength, it was having none of that, NONE... I'm 5'5" and 160lbs and I still could not get it to spread..

Sooooo here I am at 5:15 with the option, of finding someone obviously handier than me or sighting in another Optima.. Yup, I was that guy shooting last night... :SHOCKED:

I swear I am destined to not go this year, it is one hurdle or another.. I am actually scared to climb the tripod in the morning to figure out what the next hurdle is.. At best their might be a rabid coon up there..

I cannot even speak the word "Blackhorn" around the girlfriend, she thinks this was the worst idea ever and I have had some doozies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts