Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright got the pics resized and up.

Optima - 100 yards - 100gr Pyrodex Pellets - 270gr Platinum Powerbelt. Didn't like the 270s at all.

Next up i changed to the 300gr Platinum Powerbelt with 100gr Pyrodex Pellets.
For the life of me, i dont know which hole shot #3 went into. They impacted surprisingly low.

Just to make sure it wasnt a fluke, i took a 5 shot group. All this shooting and ZERO swabbing.

No mistake about that! 100gr Pyrodex Pellets and the 300gr PB Platinum is a winner for this rifle.

I had to switch to the smaller dot as the Konus Pro 3-10x44 has super fine cross hairs. That orange dot i think is maybe 1/4" in diameter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After taking the rifle home to clean out, It cleaned up with 2 patches when using muzzle foam. Followed up with a single patch of bore scrubber just to clean it better and went out again with the 295gr powerbelt hollow points and 100gr Pyrodex Pellets.

------------------------------------------

Switched muzzle loaders and brought out my nephews Wolf with 100gr blackhorn209, cci 209m primers and the 295gr Powerbelt hollow points.
If you can make it out, thats shot #1 though this $55 Bushnell 3-9x40 scope @ 100 yards.

That load kicks like a mule though so one of these days i am going to zero it in again with its normal 90gr load. Its amazing how much less it kicks with 10 grains less BH209.

·
Registered
249 Posts
going from pellets to blackhorn 209, how much of a difference in groups can you expect? I been thinkin about switching over, I have a TC Omega, I shoot 100grain trpl 7 pellets and 250 grain shockwaves, and shoot 1.5 groups @ 100, but they drop like a rock past 125.

·
Banned
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive done 90% of my best shooting since blackhorn209 came out. With a 300gr Thor conical and 100gr blackhorn209 i am only 7" low at 200 yards.

How much of a different depends if you're willing to spend the time experimenting with powder charges.

Forgot to put a pic of the wolf up in the first post but here it is. Great little shooting rifle but still needs some tinkering with loads.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
going from pellets to blackhorn 209, how much of a difference in groups can you expect? I been thinkin about switching over, I have a TC Omega, I shoot 100grain trpl 7 pellets and 240 grain shockwaves, and shoot 1.5 groups @ 100, but they drop like a rock past 125.
I switched this fall to using BH209 from the exact same load and gun that you mentioned. This year I switched from using the Shockwaves to a 290 gr Barnes TMZ. My first couple shots the windage was fine but hit the target six inches lower. This was using 100 grains of BH209. After I adjusted the scope and took a few more shots, it shoots just fine, a 2" group at 100 yds and I'm by no means what I would call a great marksman.

I will say, kind of to my dismay, that I could not replicate what others here say when it comes to shooting time after time without cleaning the bore. I can get a second bullet seated without swabbing, no way a third one. I am going to switch to the TEZ bullet this year though since it is supposed to be easier to seat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
this year I was told to swab the barrell with some bore butter and to run one down after every few shots with bore butter, and only clean the barrell til after the season, that scares the hell outta me, I like my guns squeaky clean after each time I shoot, But Iam by no means all that knowledgable on BP guns, thats why Iam on here lol

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
this year I was told to swab the barrell with some bore butter and to run one down after every few shots with bore butter, and only clean the barrell til after the season, that scares the hell outta me, I like my guns squeaky clean after each time I shoot, But Iam by no means all that knowledgable on BP guns, thats why Iam on here lol
I would forgo the bore butter. There is no reason to use it on a saboted bullet like the Omega uses. If anything it may keep the sabot from the rifling and it certainly makes for more fouling. I am with you on the fact that I want to barrel as clean as I can get it for every shot. My thinking is because when I am hunting, the barrel will be clean when I take a shot at a deer (I just need to see one first :lol:). A lot of Omegas have a tight bore and if you don't swab it at some point, you'll never get a bullet seated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
honestly I liked shooting powerbelts better, to me they seemed to seat better, and always shot consistent, but I heard so many horror storys, #1 being leaving no blood trail, which I did witness on a deer I shot, I shot through the lungs and had no blood for 40 yards in fresh snow, lucky for me he only went 60 yards lol. and maybe you can shed some light on this at the dnr range the rangemaster told me they start to fly like a ball out past 150, the bullet would tumble, I have shot 3 inch groups @ 150, so I had my doubts on what he was saying, but Iam sure he has seen alot more then me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
honestly I liked shooting powerbelts better, to me they seemed to seat better, and always shot consistent, but I heard so many horror storys, #1 being leaving no blood trail, which I did witness on a deer I shot, I shot through the lungs and had no blood for 40 yards in fresh snow, lucky for me he only went 60 yards lol. and maybe you can shed some light on this at the dnr range the rangemaster told me they start to fly like a ball out past 150, the bullet would tumble, I have shot 3 inch groups @ 150, so I had my doubts on what he was saying, but Iam sure he has seen alot more then me.
I have never shot Powerbelts but if you do a search on here about them, you'll find enough bad reports about them that it will keep you busy reading until deer season starts this year. I have also read negative reports about Shockwaves too that is why I switched to a Barnes bullet. You don't read anything bad about them. I shoot at the DNR ranges too and while I don't doubt for a minute they have just about seen it all, I'm not too sure about Powerbelts tumbling. It wouldn't surprise me though as the overwhelming majority of BP shooters I see there are using them. Most people I know who shoot them like the fact they are easy to seat.

What surprises me after every time I shoot at a DNR range is based upon some of the marksmenship I see on display, is that any deer at all get shot in this state. :lol:

There are many other posters in this forum who know a lot more about BP shooting than me and I'm sure some of them will chime in with more advice.

·
Banned
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bore butter isnt worth a snot.

The only reason why i didnt have to swab is because in the fall i had applied dyna tek bore coat to the inside of the barrel. Its a ceramic coating that enbeds into the bore after firing it 10 times to help set it up. It doesnt completely cure it 100%, but you'll notice that you can push through the crud ring easier. Clean up normally only takes 3 patches now with blackhorn209. Great stuff to use for the bore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts