Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
All depends on the range you expect to shoot. Lots of people use the 3-9 CDS with the dial set up for the factory load. This allows shooting out to 300 yards, some claim. But, if you are shooting shorter distances, a lower power scope without turret dial would be fine. You could even use a dot or reflex sight if magnification was not needed

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
For a bear hunt next week I mohnted a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 power which has a motion activated red dot. It should be great for close shots on black fur in a dark environment.

I also just ordered a Leupold 3-9x40 with a CDS preset for the BM450 cartridge. It’s for an Iowa deer hunt next year where the shots could be out to 200 yards.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
This is the scope that I just ordered from Optics Planet:

Leupold VX-Freedom
450 Bushmaster 3-9x40 Riflescope
1 inch Tube Diameter
Matte Finish
Magnification: Range 3 - 9
Objective Lens Diameter: 40
Reticle: Duplex Reticle

The rifle scope comes with a Custom Dial turret for the elevation that is calibrated for the .450 Bushmaster.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Use it in Michigan this year!
The gun will be used next week w/ the scope you see mounted on it for bear in the UP.

I will be taking to the UP for deer this year. Bit I’ll probably leave the mounted scope on it. It’s a 1.25-4 power red dot, which should be be good for hunting in the Big Woods of the western UP.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Boy, you can say that again, and again! :D

Both, excellent scopes. Very nice.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Im running this on my 450 Bushmaster, Muzzy and savage 220.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-muzzleloader-3-9x40

In not taking hunting shots beyond 150 yards, Actually 99 .99% are under 100. However I opened up a new lane where 150 could be fairly common. I can do that with these scopes and not worry about changing a turret for said distance. No need for Kentucky elevation as thats built it.

Secondly the circle radical in the center focuses my eye much faster and better the the fine calibrated tactical dots most other scope feature for the round. It also stands out much better in low light.

Note this will be my first year using the 450.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42 with the Hornady turret on mine.
This scope gathers an incredible amount of light and more than any scope I have ever had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts