Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions for those of you that know about this line.
I understand this line will work for single hand sticks, and i dont need a switch or spey rod. I have a 9 foot 7 wt that im taking to alaska, can i use my 7 wt reel or should i use my 9 wt reel.
Does any one have good suggestions for which lines to get? ( what all do i need to rig my spool?)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have been using the commando heads for three seasons now. i even use the integrated line on my 5wt streamer rod. can use a 5wt for trout and still throw big streamers. they have a chart on their website with recommended line gr weight per rod weight. i have always followed the chart recommendations and have not had a problem yet. ill post the link to the chart.

·
Premium Member
18,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using the commando heads for three seasons now. i even use the integrated line on my 5wt streamer rod. can use a 5wt for trout and still throw big streamers. they have a chart on their website with recommended line gr weight per rod weight. i have always followed the chart recommendations and have not had a problem yet. ill post the link to the chart.
Anything you dislike about the line?
I can see this being a huge asset for the small streams i fish up here and the ones i will fish in alaska.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Literally the best line for AK. I’ve run it two years in a row and have been stoked. Make sure you get the S2 S4 and S6 sinking tips for it. For smaller rivers you can get away with S2 or S4 most of the time but it’s nice to have a heavier tip just in case.

Spend the money and get the head with an integrated line it’s way better then dealing with a running line. That said I bought the commando head before they came out with the integrated. On my CCF 6/8 sized reel I can fit the 350 head and probably 100 yards of running line and some backing. It’s tight but you’ll never reel in the head fighting a fish so it works out nice. If you trust the reel go with the 7. The weight savings will save your arm after a few days of fishing.

·
Premium Member
18,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Literally the best line for AK. I’ve run it two years in a row and have been stoked. Make sure you get the S2 S4 and S6 sinking tips for it. For smaller rivers you can get away with S2 or S4 most of the time but it’s nice to have a heavier tip just in case.

Spend the money and get the head with an integrated line it’s way better then dealing with a running line. That said I bought the commando head before they came out with the integrated. On my CCF 6/8 sized reel I can fit the 350 head and probably 100 yards of running line and some backing. It’s tight but you’ll never reel in the head fighting a fish so it works out nice. If you trust the reel go with the 7. The weight savings will save your arm after a few days of fishing.
Great info thank you.
What rivers you fish in Alaska with it?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Anything you dislike about the line?
I can see this being a huge asset for the small streams i fish up here and the ones i will fish in alaska.
I agree, really unless you are fishing light dry flies, for me its the best overall setup i have used. eliminates the casting strokes needed even if your using it overhand, and works well with very basic roll casts too. as far as dislikes, i dont really have any. and i replaced my standard SA fly line with the opst and it filled the same. so or backing just whatever the reel manufacturer recommends for that weight rod.
i have the integrated and the opst shooting line and i like the integrated, doesn't shoot as far but if you really are trying to shoot very far you really want a switch setup anyways in my opinion. for me its perfect for a say pere marquette sized river. but can be thrown pretty far once you get the hang of it. i really like using my 5wt with the integrated fishing streamers out of a drift boat, i personally cant stand catching 15-20 inch trout on 7 and 8 weights, too much rod, this makes it possible to throw the big sex dungeon type flies with the lighter rod.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Casting lesson is the way to go if you can swing it. A hour lesson will knock off a couple weeks of trying to learn on your own. Especially if you’ve never done any two handed casting.

Nail down the Snap T and Single Spey that way you’re covered for river right and left. Don’t get too bogged down with all of the different casts you’ll learn those as you go. Don’t overlook a solid roll cast either.

·
Premium Member
18,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the line and tips last night and strung up my reel. Now to get out and try it. I wound up with 250 gr opst smooth integrated line and went with 7.5 foot tips.
After watching several hundred casting videos I realized that the casting for the most part is just setting up the line for a roll cast. Without realizing that I was spey casting I actually do this all the time when fishing small crowded streams. Hope to get out soon and give this a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.