Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Bird Dog Tournament thing on the Outdoor channel and I have a few questions.

1. Are you impressed with the dog work
2. does this really represent bird hunters in a positive light
3. how would you compare your dog to theirs

I personally think it was a joke. The birds do not fly or run and I watched many dogs just walk over and pick them up and or watched the shooter kick the bird multiple times to make the birds fly. I have never been to a feild trial but I would assume ( hope to think ) that they are a better dog that what I seen on this show. I laughed everytime I heard them say that these are the best dogs out there. I read this forum everyday and know that there are some good dogs and trainers ( Crosswind,midwest ( guy from Ida ) , Merlin,ect ) and I would really like how they think their dogs stack up. I hope this does not turn into a trial verse meat dog argument. Thanks !

· Registered
1,170 Posts
When a sport becomes competition the goal is winning. How many birds do we need to win.

We've watch it but can't figure out why the dogs are allowed to do so many things that we try to avoid.

We met a vet at a NAVHDA trial last year that participates. I think her name was Sara.

· Premium Member
11,080 Posts
I dont get that channel. So I have never been able to see those trials.

I have heard other non-flattering comments from others in respect to the events.

I am sure there are other issues. I wouldn't be critical of the handlers or the dogs because the birds are crappy fliers. IMHO there is nothing less natural than a pen raised quail.

If they are "good fliers" they can go a certain distance before they tire and drop (thats provided they didn't run into a branch or leaf and plummet to the ground). I try to let the quail get out a decent distance as I dont think it does my dog alot of good to have a 6 foot retrieve.

If they are't fliers- all bets are off. I have never encountered a wild bird that will stick around to be poked, prodded, nudged, kicked, flung etc. Some weeks almost all my training birds are duds, luckily this year they have been pretty good. I think it proves to be confusing for the dog and downright frustrating to the handler.

I wish there is some way I could see that show to really evaluate the dogs. I enjoy watchng gundogs in action, it would have to be pretty crappy programming to top Tour de France, and snowboarding like Versus is often broadcasting...

· Registered
3,369 Posts
If its competition you are after, get another sport. (Thats how anti competition I am) But some owners do this to test the mettle of their dogs for breeding. Not sure yet of how important this is to me, but thats the only positive I can find.
NAVHDA is a better format to me for sorting the quality of the dog.
All I can say is I dont want to hunt with someone who is minded to KILL A LIMIT, faster than thier partner.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
jlock said:
I watched the Bird Dog Tournament thing on the Outdoor channel and I have a few questions.

1. Are you impressed with the dog work
2. does this really represent bird hunters in a positive light
3. how would you compare your dog to theirs

I personally think it was a joke. The birds do not fly or run and I watched many dogs just walk over and pick them up and or watched the shooter kick the bird multiple times to make the birds fly. I have never been to a feild trial but I would assume ( hope to think ) that they are a better dog that what I seen on this show. I laughed everytime I heard them say that these are the best dogs out there. I read this forum everyday and know that there are some good dogs and trainers ( Crosswind,midwest ( guy from Ida ) , Merlin,ect ) and I would really like how they think their dogs stack up. I hope this does not turn into a trial verse meat dog argument. Thanks !
I usually don't comment on one venue over another,I think anything you are out doing with your birddog is a good thing.I have watched in on TV several times.There are things that I see happen that I would never let my dog get away with,jumping on birds is not good in my opinion.But I didn't make the rules and I lean toward a broke dog that isn't allowed to do that.I don't want to see a dog creeping on point or make a partial retrieve. Thats why I enjoy NSTRA,that kind of behavior is judged harshly and the paticipents try to train for a good steady to flush type dog that makes a good clean retrieve.
Now with that said,that is just my opinion.Those people are out there having fun with there dogs ,more power to em.Also that is a relitively new format and maybe they will make some adjustments to the rules as they go through the process,every organization does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.