Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thinking of upgrading my 2 stroke 9.9 to a new 4 stroke and wanted some opinions on the price they would sell it for. I have a price in my head but again, wanted to see others thoughts with today's market.
It wouldnt be for a few weeks but it's a 2002 model 9.9 merc I believe it's a long shaft.
Came off my old 2004 starcraft and I sold the boat to a family friend, he ended up upgrading to a bigger motor so I bought it back since it ran so great and i used it as a kicker.(mainly just for insurance purposes) The boat sat in a garage for quite a few years so the motor has low hours.
Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ask 1600. Inflation is creeping into the secondary economy. Prices are going up because demand is high and selection is limited.
That was a $900 motor 2 years ago...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Well maintained outboards are in pretty high demand right now or at least that's what it looks like from all the various used web markets that I look at daily. Go a little high on your asking price and weed out the low ballers. You can always move down. One suggestion though, advertising that an outboard motor (any motor really) sat unused for years is not a positive thing. When I see that I know for certain that the carb and the rest of the fuel system is going to have to be completely rebuilt from the ethanol in the gas. This goes double for ads that claim that they "just cleaned the carb" etc, etc. Just say "low hours, garage kept" or have your mech go through it and give it a clean bill of health that's stated on paper. That goes a long way for me when I'm looking. Just my opinion. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well maintained outboards are in pretty high demand right now or at least that's what it looks like from all the various used web markets that I look at daily. Go a little high on your asking price and weed out the low ballers. You can always move down. One suggestion though, advertising that an outboard motor (any motor really) sat unused for years is not a positive thing. When I see that I know for certain that the carb and the rest of the fuel system is going to have to be completely rebuilt from the ethanol in the gas. This goes double for ads that claim that they "just cleaned the carb" etc, etc. Just say "low hours, garage kept" or have your mech go through it and give it a clean bill of health that's stated on paper. That goes a long way for me when I'm looking. Just my opinion. Good luck with it.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
It sat before I got ahold of it years ago and has been maintained yearly since I started to use it.
Plus it's going in today for yearly maintenance and to get a clean bill of health.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Id agree with $1500 to $1600 in todays market assuming it running strong. As for upgrading what you are going to go with? I would highly recommend the merc 9.9 pro kicker or yamaha 9.9 kicker with an Itroll. Electric Trim and start are really nice to have.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id agree with $1500 to $1600 in todays market assuming it running strong. As for upgrading what you are going to go with? I would highly recommend the merc 9.9 pro kicker or yamaha 9.9 kicker with an Itroll. Electric Trim and start are really nice to have.
Thank you for the input. Yes, it runs great and never let me down.
Most likely stay with the merc since I've had such good luck with them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're considering upgrading to a 9.9HP four stroke.... I'd suggest you locate one before you sell your old motor.
Super hard to come by right now. 24-27 weeks to get one from Mercury right now and none of the dealer around
have any inventory right now. Historically, the worst time ever to consider buying a new "loose engine" sale.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Might as well just buy a brand new 4 stroke Tuhatsu. Tuhatsu makes all of the smaller HP out boards for mercury and other companies anyhow. Save your self a couple bucks

I’d be surprised if that motor you have currently wasn’t a Tuhatsu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Might as well just buy a brand new 4 stroke Tuhatsu. Tuhatsu makes all of the smaller HP out boards for mercury and other companies anyhow. Save your self a couple bucks

I’d be surprised if that motor you have currently wasn’t a Tuhatsu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Tohatsu is a Japanese company that's been making outboards since 1956. Brunswick Corporation (Mercury Marine) has been in a joint operation since '88 with them. I like American made but I would have a Honda or Yamaha kicker on my boat if I could afford one. Hard to argue with the quality and reliability. Like you said, anything under 30hp in a Merc is Tohatsu. All Nissan's sold in the US as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts