Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm launching out of Gambil's by 7am tomorrow (9/17). Haven't been out in 3 weeks. I value you guys opinion on methods. Not sure whether to start with spinners or cranks. I normally will run DDHJ's for a tighter wobble, plus they suspend. I've done real well with BB & spinners most of the summer. Just not sure if they're still working. I will post results (good, bad, or indifferent) before I leave Gambil's. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions...Tim.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i would start out with meat, you can always switch, little early for husky jerks imo.... but it wont be long :D.. good luck !!

·
Registered
25,367 Posts
With all these NE winds, Dropping the water temps. And frost tonight.. Any thing I ran would be slow, 1.1-1.3, And at them speeds you can run both. One on each side and see what is working, in 16-20 FOW. Temps are getting close to The all out Fall crank bite to kick off, And river mouth action ;) ;)......http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/huron/h22.html

·
Registered
388 Posts
Experimental fishing out of AuGres last Saturday. I was in 60 to 63 fow trolling glow spoons for Steelhead, Lakers, Kings, etc. Had the dipsy diver spread going and covered the entire water column at a speed of 2.0-2.2 mph. Not long into the experiment my clicker started singing on my deepest dipsy. Took a good 10 minutes to get the fish to the boat and to my disappointment it was a large catfish, it was a decent battle but not the targeted species. Not long after that I had another disappointment when another farm animal (sheephead) took a spoon in the middle. This was enough to make me change from spoons to deep husky jerks in silver color which immediately produced a six pound walleye. In the following 10 minutes two other walleye took to the HJ on long lines with 8 oz weights near bottom, nice 3 and 5 lbs specimens. Water temp on top was 65-66 degrees for the short time that was spent in the deep. Tried for perch after the third walleye and had no luck with that, only fish biting my minnys were those damn gobies. Went for a shallow run in the rocks off of AuGres and found non stop action on smallmouth bass. Never had that much action with smallies in my life. All the fish caught were between 18"-24" and bait was minnows and crawlers on a perch rig. Went into port feeling accomplished and ended up giving my walleye to an older couple from Farmington. They were from the Detroit Walleye Federation and wanted to see if Saginaw Bay was doing any better than Lake Erie. They went fishless on crawler harnesses in 35 fow. I didn't want them going back empty handed and they seemed grateful for the gesture.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Experimental fishing out of AuGres last Saturday. I was in 60 to 63 fow trolling glow spoons for Steelhead, Lakers, Kings, etc. Had the dipsy diver spread going and covered the entire water column at a speed of 2.0-2.2 mph. Not long into the experiment my clicker started singing on my deepest dipsy. Took a good 10 minutes to get the fish to the boat and to my disappointment it was a large catfish, it was a decent battle but not the targeted species. Not long after that I had another disappointment when another farm animal (sheephead) took a spoon in the middle. This was enough to make me change from spoons to deep husky jerks in silver color which immediately produced a six pound walleye. In the following 10 minutes two other walleye took to the HJ on long lines with 8 oz weights near bottom, nice 3 and 5 lbs specimens. Water temp on top was 65-66 degrees for the short time that was spent in the deep. Tried for perch after the third walleye and had no luck with that, only fish biting my minnys were those damn gobies. Went for a shallow run in the rocks off of AuGres and found non stop action on smallmouth bass. Never had that much action with smallies in my life. All the fish caught were between 18"-24" and bait was minnows and crawlers on a perch rig. Went into port feeling accomplished and ended up giving my walleye to an older couple from Farmington. They were from the Detroit Walleye Federation and wanted to see if Saginaw Bay was doing any better than Lake Erie. They went fishless on crawler harnesses in 35 fow. I didn't want them going back empty handed and they seemed grateful for the gesture.
Nice gesture to those people...way to go! And good job on the :fish:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I got 2 huge cats off alabaster in 70 ft last week. One was no more than 7 ft from the surface. Thought for sure it was steelie dan

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your opinions and suggestions guys. I'll be on the water shortly. As I stated in my original post, I'll post a new thread when I return to the launch. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
29,761 Posts
Good luck out there:).

With all these NE winds, Dropping the water temps. And frost tonight.. Any thing I ran would be slow, 1.1-1.3, And at them speeds you can run both. One on each side and see what is working, in 16-20 FOW. Temps are getting close to The all out Fall crank bite to kick off, And river mouth action ;) ;)......http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/huron/h22.html
Right on Dan. If you got 2 guys, run one side plastic, one side meat. There was a couple caught in the river the other day here in town;) Won't be long. Usually Oct. the night time casting bite gets going, but we've had a cool year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts