Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am looking into purchasing a new (used) watercraft for fishing Lake Michigan. I had a 26' sea ray and sold it to downsize. I am looking for a smaller boat to be able to haul 15 miles or so from Pt. Sheldon back to home. Here are some of my criteria.

-19-21 ft.
-Outboard with a kicker
-Preferably closed bow
-Low rails for ease of netting the big ones :)
-Steering wheel positioned as far forward as possible.
-Between $10-15k.

I am looking for a ready to fish boat. By that I mean that it is mechanically sound and somewhat pleasing to the eye. I sold my riggers with the last boat and don't mind putting new ones on if need be.

I would like the cuddy to be as small as possible, with the most "moving room" towards the stern. From my attempts at finding one I have found that the shape and size of most boats that fit the criteria are aluminum. I don't mind fiberglass either.

I figured there'd be some guys on here with opinions of the boats they have fished out of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to be pushed in a direction so I can find the ideal boat before the cold weather hits.

Also, if anyone knows about any boats in the Holland, Grand Haven, Grand Rapids area that fit this description, a PM or a reply to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Starcraft Islander. They are everywhere and can be equipped to fish for anything and are light enough to tow easily. FRANK

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Starcraft Islander. They are everywhere and can be equipped to fish for anything and are light enough to tow easily. FRANK
100% right on the money. they cannot be beat for a great lakes boat. nice cuddys, and still tons of room in the back. steering wheel in front area of boat, just an all around awesome boat. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, That was my immediate thought. It is a bit harder to find them with outboards though. Would love to fish one of them. Maybe I'll re-consider my motor preferences.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
There's a couple nice older ones on Craigslist. FRANK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts