Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to. You don't need a drivers license to operate a boat unless a judge specifically made that a condition.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
depends on the stipulations of your probation..if your on probation at all...if its a drinking offence usually it will say no motor vehicle operation or something similar ,,,,and that means none,,,even a lawn mower on a public highway is against the law ...

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
If your license is suspended, revoked, or you are no longer able to get a driverslicense. You can not operate any motor vehicle of any type on public roads, waterways, or land.

I do not know if you go take a boaters safety class if that would allow you to operate a boat again. You may want to contact your local police agency for further guidence.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Gone Fishing is 100 % correct...........

A boat is a watercraft and Not a motor vehicle.... Unless your boating rights have been suspended you can operate a watercraft.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Well from prior experince, if your license is suspended and you are check while operating a boat. Your going to be ticketed for it. Been there done that, paid the 150 dollar fine. This was back when I was in highschool in 1995.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
one of those questions im so happy i never needed to learn the answer too.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
To all who have had their DLs suspended ( I assume for DUIs) please, please learn from this experience and don't do it again.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I can't remember if it did pass the legislature or not. Snowmobiles do fall under the prohibition of operation of a snowmobile when drivers license is suspended. There was legislation to make vessels the same at one time but not sure it ever passed or not. Call Lt. Creig Grey in Lansing to find out for sure, he is the Marine Section Supervisor.

I do know if someone got a ticket for it in 1995, they got screwed because I know there was no such law in 1995.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
It is in law that Snowmobiles and ORV's are prohibited if you have a suspended license. I did receive a ticket it for it from the Lenawee Sheriffs Department in the Summer of 95. I took it to court and still lost. I was only 17 at the time.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Like I said then, you got screwed because there was no such law in 95.:)

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I have just finished going through the Marine Safety Laws and still find no law about prohibited operation of a vessel with a suspended drivers license or no drivers license at all.

Keep in mind that a youngster at the age of 12 with a marine safety certificate may operate a motorboat if his/her parents allowed him/her to. And I know of no 12 year olds with a drivers license.:)

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Geez, a guy moves to Florida, sleeps till noon, shoots a round of golf and then still has some time to moderate. Such a life...;)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
1998 i was told by a judge not to drive anything but my car to and from work........he said anything with a motor and thats what he meant....you guys are forgetting a judge can inforce anything with in reason as a stipulation of probation or revocation....

play it safe find a 12 year old to drive ya around

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The only law about operating a boat is that you can operate any boat with no restrictions if you are age 16 or older. No drivers license needed. It changes when you go to a PWC. you still do not need to possess a valid drivers license, but for all people born on or after Dec 31, 1978, you need a boaters safety certificate. I have looked into this because i have a suspended license as well. Have been checked by boat without a license and no tickets issued. This info is coming from the MDNR website, and also from a CO that i know whom i have spoken with ab out this issue. Now obviously you cannot operate a boat while drinking, and if you are on probation you cannot basically even be sober on the boat if there are several others drinking on the same boat.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
But we are talking about a pantoon and/or vessel. You are correct about no restriction because a marine safety certificate is a restriction and the only restriction for a 12 year old and regular boat or pantoon. That is why I didn't say PWC. Also you can operate a boat while drinking, you just can't be intoxicated.:)

Still get up around 6:30 am and still working too. Making some money where the state doesn't tax no taxes from you.:)

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
walleyeman2006 said:
1998 i was told by a judge not to drive anything but my car to and from work........he said anything with a motor and thats what he meant....you guys are forgetting a judge can inforce anything with in reason as a stipulation of probation or revocation....

play it safe find a 12 year old to drive ya around
You are correct, a judge can but for it to be legal he/she still must have authority to do so. He/she can't create laws that are not there, judicial branch rules on laws, doesn't create them. Not saying he didn't say that, just saying what he can legally do.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.